Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

tkx or t56mag to replace ar5

Hi everyone, looking for some help/advice.
      i have a 1973 chevelle wagon, twin turbo 5.3, 2.73 rear gear (weird 8.75" rear, dont want to change gears right now, requires an entire new rear) and i put a AR5 5 speed from a colorado in the car with the adapter kit from fabbot.
      tilton hydraulic master and stock 't56' style hydraulic slave, twin disk clutch all standard ls1/t56 hardware
      the ar5 sucks. i scattered third gear in my first one within a couple weeks, i dont like how it shifts, it has to go.

the tkx coming out got me thinking about keeping the car stick, but pricing things out it looks pretty close to a magt56 since i need all the bellhousing, expensive slave, etc.
      what combo of parts make the most sense to get a tremec in the car, reusing as much of my existing parts as possible?
      use case is street car, burnouts, shenanigans around town, maybe drag race once in a while

tkx:
      + 3.27 first gear
      + dont have to cut tunnel
      - not as strong
      - only 5 speeds

t56mag
      + stronger
      + 6 gears
      -2.97 first
      - sounds like i have to cut half the floor out of the car to fit it

Ive never messed with a non-t56 manual trans before, so im not at all familiar with the tkx architecture for clutch/bell/etc
      thanks for any insight and opinions.

Country Flag: United States
      The TKX installs much like any older style transmission (like a muncie, or a TKO) behind a LS engine. You will need a reproduction 621 bellhousing, many vendors offer it. You can use the flywheel and clutch of your choice as long as the disk is 26 spline. For the TOB there are also many options. I am going to use the Tilton 6100 series bearing, which I already have, since I am replacing a Richmond 6 speed, which installs like a Muncie, TKO, TKX. The TKX is not going to require much, if any, modification to the trans tunnel.

The T56 Magnum is a beast, and installs using either a F-body (4th gen) bellhousing or a Quicktime steel bellhousing. The most likely TOB option is the 4th gen Camaro unit, with a spacer or not, depending on the clutch, which can be any made for LS engines. The Magnum will require extensive transmission tunnel and floor modifications.

As for strength, the magnum will be stronger, given its greater center to center distance.

In the end it comes down to what matters to you most....

Having said all that, a 4L80e would be a less expensive option and probably more durable for what you are doing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

thats very helpful info, thanks Andrew.
      the clutch and TOB with the AR5 are the leftovers from a past project that used a mag t56 so i know that stuff is compatible.
      the extensive floor mods will likely be the deciding factor.
      I am part way through a zf 8hp conversion, but ive been driving the wagon a little more lately and that third pedal makes the car much more enjoyable to drive, so an 80e is a great trans but pretty low on my list of options.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com