Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TIG settings for 3 bolt flange?

Still working on technique before I commit to the real parts and getting better at tubing.

What about the flange? Do I keep the same current as the pipe requires or raise it to the flange thickness like I would with MIG?

Plan on using Ace Race 1/2" thick flanges.

The tricky part is the differences in thickness. The amperage that will pool well into the thicker flange will blow through the tubing fairly quickly if you stay in place too long. There's several tricks that can help. Pulsing the weld, rocking the cup to pool the thick metal and then drag it into the tubing then back, directing the angle of the torch mostly into the flange so the bulk of the arc is absorbed by the thicker metal. I would practice as much as you can before committing. Go ahead and actually take some scraps to the limit to see what it takes to mess it up.
      I'll be honest in saying I chickened out while welding the flanges on my down pipes and went ahead and MIG'ed them because I'm much better at it.

There's some excellent YouTube channels. Weld.com especially with the Mr. Tig instructor. Also Welding Tips and Tricks. I watch them religiously.
      Tracey

Country Flag: Canada
      Set the welder for the thinner material (tubes) but "aim" or focus the arc to the flange itself . Once you have a puddle manipulate the tig torch to wash the weld to the tube then back down to the flange . If you follow what im trying to say lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks. I don't have any 1/2" scrap so I'll probably order a "practice" flange.

Country Flag: Canada
      Might be cheaper to hit up local metal shop for some scrap test pieces but definitely a good idea to practice first , good luck
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Thanks. I don't have any 1/2" scrap so I'll probably order a "practice" flange.
      Check with a local metal recycler. A lot of them will have a "drop table" of oddball stuff that they'll sell by the pound.
      Tracey

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com