Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TIG welding is hard

Just got the Tig kit for my Miller 215 welder and spent most of the day with setup and practice on leftover exhaust tubing. I almost got one weld I'm almost willing to claim as my first.

Also noticed it was more of a challenge to TIG 400 series ss? I have 300 series pipe that just seemed easier to get the filler wetted into the seam with the same prep.

Now I understand why guys who are good get paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Just got the Tig kit for my Miller 215 welder and spent most of the day with setup and practice on leftover exhaust tubing. I almost got one weld I'm almost willing to claim as my first.

Also noticed it was more of a challenge to TIG 400 series ss? I have 300 series pipe that just seemed easier to get the filler wetted into the seam with the same prep.

Keep practicing, it will get easier!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Time under the hood my good man>>>>>And find a friend who can give you pointers for about a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post

I was advised to use 309L instead of 308L and it seemed to work ok. But yes it is a step to learn. It's SO much nicer than MIG though.
      Tracey

As a bonus I just noticed the sun burn from welding without sleeves.

I just picked up my argon bottle today. For Xmas I bought a multimatic 220. Can’t wait to learn how to tig and tig aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      I just picked up my argon bottle today. For Xmas I bought a multimatic 220. Can’t wait to learn how to tig and tig aluminum
      That's what I have. You'll LOVE the 220. The fact it's so smart let's us newer guys concentrate on developing the skills instead of whether or not the settings are right. And if you want to play with the numbers you can but if it starts to go sideways one touch of the button and you're right back to the correct settings.
      Tracey

First weld I'm willing to claim as a practice piece. I welded 3 or 4 smaller scraps before this and this was my first effort at back purging.
      Name:  weld1.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  202.8 KB

Keep at it! you'll be ok after a while and then you'll be giving advise to someone else. LOL

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com