Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Large Drive on graphing paper?

Does anybody know what the technical term is for this? I have my car raised up and need large graphing paper to lay under my car. I am trying to find all my suspension pick up points so I can find my optimum settings. Thanks.

I am going to follow this as I have never seen it done that way. I put a bunch of tape on the floor and make my marks on that.

I've never seen paper like that. If it was me I'd be using lots of measuring points and make a pattern from 2x3 sheets. A thought to something that IS that big would be material used to wrap houses when doing siding.
      Tracey

I swear I've seen it in a picture somewhere. For now, I'm using a plumb Bob, chalk, a 5ft level, tape measure and angle finder. Drawing on the ground is kind of frustrating as it gets erased easy. ��

Country Flag: United States
      You don't need paper. you use plump bobs and a pencil to mark the locations on the concrete. take lots of pictures and then move the car out of the way . use your full scale drawing on the floor to make a 1/2 scale drawing on paper. then you can plot out your roll centers , dive angles, Cg's ect, ect

Most of the better quality Christmas wrapping paper has 1" grid cut lines printed on the back of it. That's what I'd use if I were in your shoes.

Luckily, you asked this question at exactly the right time of year - 50% off $3.98 at your friendly local Walmart or Target!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hallmark-...q-ft/163170575
      - Ryan

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF1732 View Post
      You don't need paper. you use plump bobs and a pencil to mark the locations on the concrete. take lots of pictures and then move the car out of the way . use your full scale drawing on the floor to make a 1/2 scale drawing on paper. then you can plot out your roll centers , dive angles, Cg's ect, ect
      Wolf, yes this is what I have been doing. The issue is the car can't move because it doesn't have a suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Don, thanks, I did look at this earlier. I might pull the trigger on this one and attack the grids together. I need a 7 ft wide roll. Hell I might send it out to have it professionally laminated.

Country Flag: Canada
      what kind of car
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Way back when I was an industrial design student, we had to do a semester in photography and that included learning all the ins and outs of the art, from film processing to studio work. That's where I learned what a "psyche" was... slang that some pros used to describe a seamless background. That's where you want to look for plain paper up to 140" wide X 36' long. Nobody calls it that anymore, its just "seamless backdrop" paper or vinyl. You can get plain white or numerous colors, and some companies will offer printed material, and that includes custom printing. I actually have two 6' wide x 12' fabric backgrounds blue and black) in my basement that I've used for eBay shots sometimes. Here's a link to get you started.

http://https://www.buy-backdrop.com/...BoCdhQQAvD_BwE

Give these guys a call and tell them about your grid needs. Maybe it even exists, or maybe they can print it. If they can't do it, they probably know who might be able to do it.

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      what kind of car
      Ryan, it's for a 69 Cobra fastback.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Way back when I was an industrial design student, we had to do a semester in photography and that included learning all the ins and outs of the art, from film processing to studio work. That's where I learned what a "psyche" was... slang that some pros used to describe a seamless background. That's where you want to look for plain paper up to 140" wide X 36' long. Nobody calls it that anymore, its just "seamless backdrop" paper or vinyl. You can get plain white or numerous colors, and some companies will offer printed material, and that includes custom printing. I actually have two 6' wide x 12' fabric backgrounds blue and black) in my basement that I've used for eBay shots sometimes. Here's a link to get you started.

http://https://www.buy-backdrop.com/...BoCdhQQAvD_BwE

Give these guys a call and tell them about your grid needs. Maybe it even exists, or maybe they can print it. If they can't do it, they probably know who might be able to do it.

Mike
      Mike, I'm going to give these guys a call. Vinyl sounds like it might work out. Thanks for the link.

I found it. I knew I had seen it somewhere. My memory is a bit obscured though, I thought it was alot longer than what these guys are making. I do think it's pretty cool.

https://dcsperformance.net/unijig/measuring-system/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com