Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Starter cable size

I have moved the battery to the rear of the vehicle (67 camaro) and ran a 1/0 cable to a distribution block on the firewall. I initially ran another 1/0 cable from the block to the starter, but its so fat it is touching the starter case. In order to run it, I had to put a 90 degree bend in the terminal so it wouldn't be too close to the headers.
      I'm concerned that over time it may rub through the insulation and ground out.

So, would a thinner cable be okay from the distribution block to the starter? Its about 5 feet long. I see that 4 gauge wire can carry 150 amps, but starters can draw up to 250 amps during crank right?

I'm also trying to figure out the best size from the alternator to the distribution block..again, thinking 4 gauge would be suitable.

Any advice would be appreciated.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I’m using 2awg from starter to firewall lug, alternator to firewall lug, and inside the cabin to the same lug to battery 2awg. No issues. I would love to check out the car some day

Why not put a chafing material over it? With some heat tape? I'm currently using "Heatshield" wrap. I have found this new marine cable I'm going to use, the insulations is very thick. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extreme-Bat...sAAOSwwJhdLLRk
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Current rating has a lot to do with temperature rise of the wire. Since cranking is only a brief time it’s really not a concern. 2 should be fine imho, especially for an LS starter.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You also gain resistance the longer the wire is. I’m dealing with this issue right now...I’m upping my starter wire gauge.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Thanks for the advice. 2 it is.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I'm running a 2 AWG from battery to Starter, using a 90° fitting on the starter end and I also used a thermal case. Battery is currently in the stock tray up front, have a 4 AWG wire with a Fusible Link running from Alternator to Battery, and a 8 AWG with Fusible Link from Battery to Junction Block. Switched over to a JEGs dual post Junction Block, the lower post is 12v Hot, the upper is 12v Switched using a relay. I also ran a ground with 8 AWG from Alternator to Engine Block. Got most my cables from Tony at CE Electric, they are super flexible and have a nice thick insulation.

Name:  Starter-Wire-00.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  541.0 KB

Maybe down the road I'll move the battery to the trunk... how did you run that Fatboy in the car or underneath?

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

CE makes awesome cables.

1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com