Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Lsa or ls7 570hp?

Well just put a rod out the side of my block and looking at new powerplants, daily driver.
      Was ls3 525 hp with 4l70e, YANK 3200 stall, street use 99 percent of the time, 300 mile loops, Vegas weekend runs, coastal runs to Huntington Beach etc.
      10 bolt 3.73 gears, 26" tall wheel/tire combo, 15mpg average with a/c running, cruising 75 mph.
      Car with driver, full tank of gas is 4060 lbs.

1st option one recently released LS7 GM factory wet sump, 570 hp advertised.
      2nd option LSA LS3 GM 556 hp, 540 tq advertised

Both would be new GM crate purchases:
      LS7 pro is mostly drop in with accessories, mounts and exhaust.
      Cons, makes a touch less torque and higher up in the rpm band.

LSA pros makes over 551 fl lbs tq at 3800 rpm
      Cons requires install of intercooler, pump and hoses and some mods like throttle cable etc.

Anyone currently running either powerplants on a daily driver or long pleasure runs?

Lsa you can swap a pulley and add a few mods to add hundreds of more hp. The ls7 has a ls7 tax. Everything is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Lsa you can swap a pulley and add a few mods to add hundreds of more hp. The ls7 has a ls7 tax. Everything is expensive
      Is that the current set up your running? looking for combo of longevity as well torque to move the fatty drop top. Interested in real world life span of LSA VS LS7 as is a daily driver, I read GM 100 hr torture tested the ls7 under varying speeds and loads so reliable mass production nightmares are avoided. I know i like torque NOW so the LSA makes sense but if same torque is on tap at 4800 vs LSA 3800 that may be acceptable since im running ans auto with 3200 stall anyways....
      thx for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Is that the current set up your running? looking for combo of longevity as well torque to move the fatty drop top. Interested in real world life span of LSA VS LS7 as is a daily driver, I read GM 100 hr torture tested the ls7 under varying speeds and loads so reliable mass production nightmares are avoided. I know i like torque NOW so the LSA makes sense but if sacrificing torque (470 ftlbs at 4800) vs LSA (556 fllbs) at 4200 that may be the deciding factor even when running an auto with 3200 stall.
      thx for the input.

Don’t just look at peak HP, average power and where it is has to be a factor. I personally would go for the LSA for a street car. The LS7 is going to be a better road course engine.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I’ve had a 2013 ZL1 and now have a 2015 Z/28 so both C5 camaros it’s hRd to describe because both are are meant for different things. I enjoyed the ZL1 for sure I bought the ZL1 new with 8 miles and in 2-1/2 years I put 60k miles I bought my Z/28 April 2020 with almost 9k miles now have 17.5k miles. I’ll say the Z/28 to me the more fun car. That LS7 hits hard at all RPMs just as raw pure power as can be had. The ZL1 was fun loved the whine of the forced induction but to me it was always in my head that it was because of the forced induction. To me there’s no other motor currently out there that can compare to the LS7 in all motor stock configuration. That’s why I’m currently in the process of piecing together the parts for a third LS7. A spare to the spare. Hands down my vote is all in for the LS7. I love That raw power. And yes I know the gearing was different and possibly made the difference but I don’t think the ZL1s 3.73 gears compared to the Z/28s 3.91s was a huge difference. Enjoy whichever u get both are nice I’ll say that for sure and fun.

The LSA is easily 100 pounds heavier than the LS7, however, the stock LSA camshaft is practically round. Adding even a mild cam will get your closer to 700HP. I'd rock the LSA...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I’ve got a couple of thousand miles on my LSA Camaro and put 40000 miles on my CTS-V. It’s a great engine that has a nice broad flat torque curve which makes it a great daily driver imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The LSA is easily 100 pounds heavier than the LS7, however, the stock LSA camshaft is practically round. Adding even a mild cam will get your closer to 700HP. I'd rock the LSA...

Andrew
      good point, didnt consider added weight of lsa and supporting jewelry.
      and kinda steering away from piecing together yet another power plant, the last was the 3rd build for my camaro, started with stock ls2, sold, then swapped in LS2 with ls3 heads, cam, intake, etc, cracked block after bottoming out on road construction steel plate, then 525 hp LS3, TIL now with rod through block.
      so really would rather buy factory sealed power plant and NOT pull heads and cam swap crate sealed LSA, too back GM doesnt offer a hotter cam production LSA or Id score that.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I’ve got a couple of thousand miles on my LSA Camaro and put 40000 miles on my CTS-V. It’s a great engine that has a nice broad flat torque curve which makes it a great daily driver imho.

Don
      Thanks for the 411 Don, that is what i was wondering, sure GM says service oil every 100k but will the screw charger last that long or will need rebuild by then.
      Would like this to be the last power plant i put in with the intent to focus on my 51 chevy 5 window stepside pu 5.3 turbo build.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      good point, didnt consider added weight of lsa and supporting jewelry.
      and kinda steering away from piecing together yet another power plant, the last was the 3rd build for my camaro, started with stock ls2, sold, then swapped in LS2 with ls3 heads, cam, intake, etc, cracked block after bottoming out on road construction steel plate, then 525 hp LS3, TIL now with rod through block.
      so really would rather buy factory sealed power plant and NOT pull heads and cam swap crate sealed LSA, too back GM doesnt offer a hotter cam production LSA or Id score that.
      No need to pull heads for a cam swap
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If you're willing to crack open the engine, it becomes very a much subjective debate. You can crack open an LSA to install a cam to get more power, but you can do the same thing to an LS7. I have a very mild cam in my LS7 and makes 650hp...if I went with something wild, who knows...700hp? I know being a street car, I don't want a bucking bronco typically seen with aggressively cammed LS engines. I like the LS7 because its cubic engine power. I don't like the idea of heat exchangers and heat soak concerns. The LSA is a street engine...there is a reason why the LS7 went to the "road course built" Z28 Camaro. They could have easily put a "hot" LSA into it...The LT4 could have been used...but it wasnt.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

The 427/570 version of the LS7 in question already has an updated cam and is converted to a wet sump oiling system.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The 427/570 version of the LS7 in question already has an updated cam and is converted to a wet sump oiling system.

Andrew

Surprisingly, the cam in the 570 horse version is still a relatively mild cam. My cam has slightly more duration and lift, my heads also have a CNC program which explains why I have a tad more power. I like the fact its a wet-sump....If I had to do it all over again...I don't think I would have kept the dry sump.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

GM generally makes conservative HP claims.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Often the choice depends on what the intent of the car will be.

For applications where weight is the primary factor, then an NA is the choice. However, to get to the same horsepower level as a supercharged application something else has to give. To make 650-700hp in an NA 427CI LS application the engine needs to have a high RPM capability + high valve lift. This means that valve train components, especially springs, become a regular maintenance item. This disregards the generally unhappy nature of a big cam engines for street applications as well. The bulk of what it takes to make a similar Lingenfelter, MAST, etc. engine survive is the design, testing, and expense of the valvetrain.

There's a reason big horsepower OEM cars are all forced induction. Mild cam profiles, reasonable valve lift(s), and generally lower maximum engine speeds make for a super fun 650hp street car that will be super reliable and tame. 650hp is more than enough to be very fun, reliable, and practical.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post

For applications where weight is the primary factor, then an NA is the choice. However, to get to the same horsepower level as a supercharged application something else has to give. To make 650-700hp in an NA 427CI LS application the engine needs to have a high RPM capability + high valve lift. This means that valve train components, especially springs, become a regular maintenance item. This disregards the generally unhappy nature of a big cam engines for street applications as well. The bulk of what it takes to make a similar Lingenfelter, MAST, etc. engine survive is the design, testing, and expense of the valvetrain.

There's a reason big horsepower OEM cars are all forced induction. Mild cam profiles, reasonable valve lift(s), and generally lower maximum engine speeds make for a super fun 650hp street car that will be super reliable and tame. 650hp is more than enough to be very fun, reliable, and practical.

Carl, seems like your leaning towards an LSA with a BTR stage 2 PD cam for my street driven 4060lb ragtop with 4l70e 3200 stall and 3:73 rear gear.....vs BTR stage 3 cammed LS7 570 with factory cnc heads to gain reliability due to less valve train stress.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      Carl, seems like your leaning towards an LSA with a BTR stage 2 PD cam for my street driven 4060lb ragtop with 4l70e 3200 stall and 3:73 rear gear.....vs BTR stage 3 cammed LS7 570 with factory cnc heads to gain reliability due to less valve train stress.
      4L80E might be a better choice.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post

Carl, what do you mean "NA 427CI LS application the engine needs to have a high RPM capability + high valve lift?" "valve train components, especially springs, become a regular maintenance item" The LS7 is already a high RPM built engine....

I think this is true if you build a 427 engine...however the LS7 is already optimized to operate at the RPM it was designed for...I don't think it will need "regular valvetrain maintenance"??

For fun...I would argue why OE big power cars are forced induction....especially GM...The LS7 and the new LT4 are both rated at close to the same RPMS (in fact the LT4 is 6,400 RPMS while the LS7/570 is 6,200 RPMS). The LS block can only be so many cubes. Its easier to make big power with what they have by forcing air in with a supercharger. To make LT5 power N/A would be a very large displaced engine killing fuel economy. Dodge is doing the same thing....they just keep increasing the SC displacement. To make big engines would need specialized blocks and internals for the high power cars for big cubes. With the SC versions...they are using the same block mold as the lower power models.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I went the LS427/570 route...... but it's still a few months away from installation (and nice enough weather to hit the roads and tracks)
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Later,
      Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com