Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      .......... The current plan is to build the 5.3L with forged rods and pistons, and possibly a forged crank, along with other durability measures, like main and head studs.

Andrew
      If you don't have pistons yet maybe use a 6.6 crank. Forged with eight counterweights and more stroke.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      If you don't have pistons yet maybe use a 6.6 crank. Forged with eight counterweights and more stroke.

Ken
      The 6.6 crank has a 3.90" stroke. This doesn't generally go too well with the 5.3L 3.780 bore. More bore is better than more stroke, given the same displacement increase. I considered the 6.6 crank for my 6.2L, it's a very nice piece.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Matt,

I totally get what you're saying. Stock stuff makes a lot of power and seems to last in certain environments. But I am building this to last for a long time. Street engines get loaded differently that drag engines. I don't want this combination to drive like a little engine with a big turbo. My goal is to have the same driving experience as having a 600ci big block, which means boost coming in early. This tends to stress everything much harder than bringing in boost at 5500RPM and revving the engine to 8K. I could be wrong about all that, but that's the angle from which I am approaching this.

Thanks for the words of support from everyone else. I am definitely in unchartered territory as far as my own experience, but that's what makes it fun.

Andrew
      Definitely have you're approach and what you want to do, do your thing!

To comment on methodology. I feel youre going to struggle to replicate the feel of a 600ci bbc engine with a 327ci engine and small turbo that wont fall on its face above 6000rpm, depending on your power goals and power range. Im doing the same idea of a combo with a 6.0l right now. Mine is designed to turn 7800rpm and drive like stock with quick, progressive spool. Jody is also doing a similar combo but with even more CI.

Boost coming in early is harder on the rods due to cylinder pressure. Thats how you keep a SBE engine alive, push the cylinder pressure/tq into higher RPMs, easier on the rod and doesn't cause it to fail. The failure point in a 600-700rwhp ls turbo engine is in poor valvetrain design from cam specs to people over complicating rocker ratios and cheap injectors.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Matt,

Thanks for the input. Here is how I see it. The 5.3L made 425hp at the crank and I see no reason that I can't double that with boost. There are numerous turbos that will flow the needed amount at the top and should still offer excellent response on the low end. What am I missing?

The cam is staying the same, and it's the Summit Ghost cam, which is also their stage 1 turbo cam.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Matt,

Thanks for the input. Here is how I see it. The 5.3L made 425hp at the crank and I see no reason that I can't double that with boost. There are numerous turbos that will flow the needed amount at the top and should still offer excellent response on the low end. What am I missing?

The cam is staying the same, and it's the Summit Ghost cam, which is also their stage 1 turbo cam.
      Im not telling you not to, just stating you seem quite particular with what you want(or maybe I just read your post and mind wrong). Comparing a 600ci to a turbo 5.3 is 2 totally different animals and also very subjective. Words are also subjective, excellent to one could mean moderate or phenomenal. When I think 600ci engine, I think back to the 760rwhp N/A combo in a friends car and comparing that to the last quick spool 5.3 that made 790rwhp, you cant even compare the 2. Me personally... I love the power and control of the 600ci, I hate the big cam shaft, I hate the huge headers, etc. The LS just packages nicer, modern, mild cam, better fuel mileage, less babysitting, day to day manners, etc.

Only one way to find out. I can guarantee you'll enjoy the boost regardless.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      Im not telling you not to, just stating you seem quite particular with what you want(or maybe I just read your post and mind wrong). Comparing a 600ci to a turbo 5.3 is 2 totally different animals and also very subjective. Words are also subjective, excellent to one could mean moderate or phenomenal. When I think 600ci engine, I think back to the 760rwhp N/A combo in a friends car and comparing that to the last quick spool 5.3 that made 790rwhp, you cant even compare the 2. Me personally... I love the power and control of the 600ci, I hate the big cam shaft, I hate the huge headers, etc. The LS just packages nicer, modern, mild cam, better fuel mileage, less babysitting, day to day manners, etc.

Only one way to find out. I can guarantee you'll enjoy the boost regardless.
      You're right about all of the above. Time will tell and it'll certainly be a learning experience.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

My 5.3 has a Ghost Cam and small-housing 7875. It feels like there's ALWAYS just a wee bit of boost just puttering around and it comes in immediately when you get on it at all. 3000 stall, I shift at about 6500, and it's only about 550 rwhp. But, it's still not immediate tire-smoking big-block power. I think that if I had started with a 6.0 or 6.2 it would be.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      My 5.3 has a Ghost Cam and small-housing 7875. It feels like there's ALWAYS just a wee bit of boost just puttering around and it comes in immediately when you get on it at all. 3000 stall, I shift at about 6500, and it's only about 550 rwhp. But, it's still not immediate tire-smoking big-block power. I think that if I had started with a 6.0 or 6.2 it would be.
      I guess I will find out. I clearly have some ideas of what I want, but I can very well be wrong.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Are you planning to retain the shaker hood with the new motor?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Are you planning to retain the shaker hood with the new motor?
      I am going to retain the shaker scoop, but I see no way that I can keep it functional.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I'm late to the party. I was unaware that you had moved. Also unaware that you had started on the GTO. Looks to me that the only thing you're missing is a full aftermarket frame. It will be interesting to hear your comments after completion about the suspension changes . I've been working as hard as I could on a project so my time has been very limited with forums. Hope the supply chain doesn't stall you out.

I guess I will find out. I clearly have some ideas of what I want, but I can very well be wrong.

Andrew
      Andrew how did you like the ghost cam NA? I am collecting parts for a 6 liter swap in a c3 with 706 heads maybe a turbo down the line.

Kacy
      79 Corvette, 406 SBC, Holley EFI, 700R4

Quote Originally Posted by KacyZ28 View Post
      Andrew how did you like the ghost cam NA? I am collecting parts for a 6 liter swap in a c3 with 706 heads maybe a turbo down the line.
      I swapped the Cougar 5.3L in my GTO to the Ghost cam a few years ago and it was better in every way than the ASA cam that I had in it before. It has a nice smooth idle with a little lope and very good manners. It is easy to tune and pulls strong all the way to 7000RPM.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Truth be told, this project is pretty overwhelming. I am delving into new territories for me and I find myself questioning every decision I make. I've never had a hot rod with an automatic transmission, but I knew that for a turbo build, that would be the right choice.

Having said that, I also have trust issues with vendors. I tend to go with vendors that I have dealt with in the past or that have been referred to me by friends that I trust. This was the case for choosing a vendor for the 4L80e. I went with Redline Powertrain in Batavia, IL. My good friend, BA, had a 4L80e built by them and is very happy. The owner of Redline is Carl, and he is clearly passionate about what he does. I like that.

Carl listened to what I was doing with the car and suggested a list of components. I know there are some upgraded billet bits.

He assured me that this trans will handle the power that I want to make and will be super reliable.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Nice progress Andrew. I really like them brakes you installed. What did that set up run? So no more TKX? I think the manual would be much more fun. Idk I never had a turbo car.
      1968 Cougar - 408, FiTech, AOD, TCI, Currie, RideTech, Wilwood
      1968 Skylark - 462, TKO 600, RideTech, CPP
      1985 Mustang - 04 Cobra/Terminator Swapped
      1988 Mustang - Vortech V3, Boss 327, Magnum, MaximumMotorsports, StopTech

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      Nice progress Andrew. I really like them brakes you installed. What did that set up run? So no more TKX? I think the manual would be much more fun. Idk I never had a turbo car.
      Those brakes were installed back in 2008. I haven't got a clue what they cost, but I do know I got them from Tobin at Kore3. He has always been great to deal with and he will take good care of you.

Yes, a manual would be fun, but at the power level that I am planning on making, the TKX is not going to hold up. It is already sold, but I need to deliver it to Alabama after the holidays.

I have never had a turbo car either, so this is all a new experience for me. I am really eager to see how it all works. The turbo should be getting built tomorrow.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Good luck with the turbo build Andrew, lookin good!
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Andrew are you using a trans brake?
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I like the 4L80e in my car. I like the adjustability of the newer E autos. I'm sure it will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by ekmxryda View Post
      Good luck with the turbo build Andrew, lookin good!
      Thanks! I need an intercooler credit card...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Andrew are you using a trans brake?
      No trans brake. The turbo I am having built should spool very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Way2qwk4u View Post
      I like the 4L80e in my car. I like the adjustability of the newer E autos. I'm sure it will work well.
      Part of the reason for doing a 4L80e is learning more about the trans tuning.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com