Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Bringing my 69 Camaro back from the dead....

As the title states, I will be working on bringing my 69 back from the dead….

Long story shortish…. Burnout in a suppliers large parking lot, took my foot off the pedal when back end started to kick to the side, and the pedal was stuck jammed to the floor. Only had OG lap belt, so I spent the next eternity trying to pull myself upright to see over the dash and get foot on some sort of pedal, other than gas…. Finally got vertical in time to see myself go head on into a parked Ram 1500…. Good times!

My wife asked me if I learned anything from this, to which is stated. "100 percent. 3 or 4 point harness, and EFI." Probably not the answer she was looking for.

Name:  parking.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  305.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7345.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  649.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1406.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  582.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_1408.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  711.4 KB

Hoping to start work on the car after I finish my impala build at some point this summer.
      I was already planning on putting the camaro on a full frame, so the only real loss is some sheet metal on the front. Doors seem to open and close just fine, so I am delusionally hoping that the body is completely useable. One of the reasons I am leaning more towards complete full frame to see if the body needs any tweaking seems like an easier task.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on any of my assumptions, or statements. Fairly mechanically inclined, but 1st time doing work of this magnitude, so I am sure there will be some bumps.

I will not be doing any racing, so some moderately aggressive road driving. Handling is important, but I am of the leaning that irs would be a waste for my intended use due to cost. That being said, I am also contemplating putting a roll cage in it if I ever get a bug to take it to a race.

Was planning on putting a mini tub in as well. Custom solo, or no rear seat.
      It will have a BBC in it, either the 454 that was there or an oddball size 490ish ci engine that I also have
      First thing I am trying to lock down is the frame. I was originally looking at the AME setup with connectors, as well as the SPEC from RS. RS is only about 40 minutes from me, so that is fairly convenient..

My first question is fit. On AME site, they state they do not make full frames for first gen as there are different lengths depending on which factory the car came out of, which is also what they told me when I talked to them a few years ago about this project. I then found RS and mentioned that to them on the phone, and they said that they only make one size and the sales guy I talked to said he had never heard of that, and have had no issues with their frames fitting.

Who be right?????

I am open to any and all frame options/opinions.

John

Country Flag: United States
      Only one length for all first gens. Art Morrison does have full frames for first gen Camaros but it requires new custom floors.

If you live near RS that’s an easy choice since freight and crating is a lot of money.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Wow! that's unfortunate .......hopefully you're okay the car can always get fixed.
      Here's a link to the assembly manual to have on file.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l...Fw0ee6b1WSew7g

Also some frame mounting points that you will need to have in alignment along the way.
      Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 12-23-45 69 subframe alignment question.png
Views: 342
Size:  276.7 KB

Country Flag: United States
      The roadster shop spec chassis is a bolt on affair. You will just need mini tubs to fit wide tires. Any of their other frame options such as the fast track require floor work.

Is it Jeff Schwarz that also makes full frames for Camaro's?
      Yes the doors open and close but I would be shocked if the subframe mounting points haven't been moved around. Only way to really tell is get it to a body shop and check it out on the frame rack.
      I bet the Ram owner was pissed. Hope you are ok.

I was surprisingly not injured very badly. Knot on the head, and a sore arm from breaking the steering wheel. And the Ram owner was none too pleased.. All good now though.

My intent, and please let me know if it is a stupid one, is to get a full frame and see how the body lines up with the mounts. If not, then try and find a body shop that has the capability to Check the body, and fix if needed. Sort of bassackwards, but I think the body looks pretty good. Going to put it on my rotisserie at some point in the near future, and try to get some better measurements on it before ordering a frame.

Thank you all for the info you have posted, helpful as always.

John

ETA: I will throw it on my lift first, and see how the measurements line out in regards to the info that slazime posted.

if your interested I have a Chris Alstons pro touring gstreet chassis kit. it's a full frame kit with tubs and floors. I'm also selling with it a complete suspension kit with coil overs,rack,hubs,spindles, rear 4 link, wilwood rotors,calipers ,fuel tank and more for under 10k brand new still boxed

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com