Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome GTO build! Had fun reading and I'm looking forward keep following along.

I was in the Chicago area for some family business, but it so happened that my engine was ready. This is the aluminum block 5.3L that used to be in my Cougar. It was gone through by Midwest Engine Tech in Mokena, IL. I'll go over the full details in a later post, but the highlights include Molnar crank and rods with Wiseco pistons, with ARP main and head studs.

My buddy BA got a Jegs engine cradle, but it didn't have casters. I couldn't wait for them to arrive, so I went to a local Menards store and picked up some suitable casters. The problem was that the cradle had 12mm x 1.75 nuts already welded in place.

I busted out my TIG and welded some 3/8" nuts on top of the nuts that were already there. The welds are terrible, but it will hold.

Off the truck and into the garage it goes.

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Looking good. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's hot rodding! Good thing your always up for it!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Excellent news!!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Yesterday we had a really nice day. It was in the mid 60s, and I couldn't let that go by without working a little bit in the garage. The old 6.2L is sold, so it had to come off the engine stand and go on the cradle, and the 5.3L needed to get on the engine stand. So after swapping some parts around and doing the shuffle with the engine hoist (thanks Ron!) I got the two engines where they needed to be.

Here are a few pictures to the forged internals on the 5.3L. The rotating assembly consists of a Molnar crank, Molnar PwrAdder rods, and Wiseco turbo pistons. Bearings are King. There is also a Melling high volume oil pump.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Sure looks sweet in there, already for some fun.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I am liking what I am seeing in there. Should be strong enough to hold a little power. :-)

Nice progress! So school me a bit on these LS motors. I’m dreaming of having a powerful LS one of these days. Is the 5.3 better than the 6.2 for a big amount of boost? Can you get away with less boost on a 6.2 and still make good power safely?
      1968 Cougar - 408, FiTech, AOD, TCI, Currie, RideTech, Wilwood
      1968 Skylark - 462, TKO 600, RideTech, CPP
      1985 Mustang - 04 Cobra/Terminator Swapped
      1988 Mustang - Vortech V3, Boss 327, Magnum, MaximumMotorsports, StopTech

A couple of car buddies of mine run a 5.3 LS turbo 89 Camaro drag car. Around 22-25 lbs of boost. Their engine builder said the iron block 5.3's have the thickest cylinder walls. So they are more stable under boost.
      6.2's are aluminum blocks with fairly thin cylinder liners. It would be interesting to see a 5.3 with 25 lbs of boost to a 6.2 with maybe 12 lbs of boost on the engine dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      A couple of car buddies of mine run a 5.3 LS turbo 89 Camaro drag car. Around 22-25 lbs of boost. Their engine builder said the iron block 5.3's have the thickest cylinder walls. So they are more stable under boost.
      6.2's are aluminum blocks with fairly thin cylinder liners. It would be interesting to see a 5.3 with 25 lbs of boost to a 6.2 with maybe 12 lbs of boost on the engine dyno.
      Thanks for clearing that up… That would be nice to compare the two you mention… I was thinking of getting a 530HP BluePrint LS3 6.2 crate motor. I was wondering down the line if I wanted more power if it would handle a little boost without breaking.

The main problem on the 5.3L is the 3.8 inch bore, which limits valve size to 1.89/1.55. If the aluminum 6.2 construction is a concern, there is also an iron 6.0 LS engine with a 4.0 inch bore. This allows larger 2 inch intake valves to be used. The 6.0 can also be stroked/bored out to out to at least a 427, which would be a 4.125 crank with a .060 overbore on the 6.0 block. I don't know if I would want to boost that one much though.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I'm guessing that the 530 hp Blueprint engine will have a somewhat higher compression ratio which typically is not great with boost. I would contact Blueprint and see if maybe than can build you something that would work with boost if you added it later on. Make sure you get quality forged rods and pistons.

The reasons I chose the 5.3L are:

1. I had a desirable Gen 4 aluminum block 5.3. These have thick cylinder liners and the block is said to be strong.
      2. I am not out to make the most HP possible. I have a goal of running mid 10s in the quarter mile.

Once you start digging into the turbo world you quickly realize that it is all a matter of compromise. Choosing the right combination really comes down to the desired power level and having a strong foundation. For what I want to do, this seemed like the right way to go.

You can certainly make the same or more power with a larger displacement engine and lower boost levels. The issue is that most turbos are not very efficient at lower boost levels. This is why I would never buy a turbo that doesn't have a published compressor map. Here is the workup that I did for my combination using the BW MatchBot:

https://www.borgwarner.com/go/G5CB67

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-13-2021 at 08:32 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Better hang on buddy, 7 psi at 2k and 18 psi at 3k! I can see the need for traction control provided by Dominator haha.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

I'm guessing that the 530 hp Blueprint engine will have a somewhat higher compression ratio which typically is not great with boost. I would contact Blueprint and see if maybe than can build you something that would work with boost if you added it later on. Make sure you get quality forged rods and pistons.
      This one from Summit $7699. Compression is 10.7:1
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-psls3760ctf

18 psi at only 3k rpm wow!

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      18 psi at only 3k rpm wow!
      Those are theoretical numbers, in regard that I wouldn't run that much boost at low RPM. But I could if I wanted to. That much torque at low RPM will bend even good rods.

I'll most likely run a 10psi wastegate spring and then use the Holley boost control to dial in the boost. I'll most likely use the Boost by Gear strategy that's available with the Dominator.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Those are theoretical numbers, in regard that I wouldn't run that much boost at low RPM. But I could if I wanted to. That much torque at low RPM will bend even good rods.

I'll most likely run a 10psi wastegate spring and then use the Holley boost control to dial in the boost. I'll most likely use the Boost by Gear strategy that's available with the Dominator.

Andrew
      Youre a smart cookie, I think you should consider a Viair 10000 air compressor / tank combo for boost control and the holley. Put a 2psi spring in and take 100% full advantage of boost by gear(really its just boost by speed). You can also run an accordian hose to touch up tire pressure when needed. Ive ran the Viair 10000 for 7 years or so now and never once had an issue. Boost response with air vs manifold pressure is night and day.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Andrew, I tried messaging you, but it says your inbox is full.

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com