Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      The intercooler is located in the intake, between the base and the lid. moving the turbo back is not an option for various reasons, neither is clocking the compressor in any other orientation.

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nice work! Love the progress. Motivation for me!
      Martin

Gotcha! So no need to run the intake tubing forward like a radiator mounted intercooler... could you do a big loop like that to the front of the core support anyway and then back to the intake or would that create lag?

Sorry for all the questions... knowing you I'm sure you already have this figured out and I'm just being a pain trying to learn along the way.
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      Gotcha! So no need to run the intake tubing forward like a radiator mounted intercooler... could you do a big loop like that to the front of the core support anyway and then back to the intake or would that create lag?

Sorry for all the questions... knowing you I'm sure you already have this figured out and I'm just being a pain trying to learn along the way.
      Having the side entry lid facing the driver's side is an option. That way the charge pipe goes straight in front of the intake and then makes a couple of 90 degree turns to go into the throttle body.

I just received a couple of 4" 110 degree bends that I am hoping will clear and make a S-shaped intake tube that will allow me to keep the passenger side entry option.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Made some baby steps today...

We chose to do this intake orientation, just to make the plumbing path not so arduous. There will be a simple silicone coupler at the throttle body. The rest will be fitted and welded together, with the V-band at the compressor discharge. Still unsure about the hood clearance, but that is a problem for future me.

You can also see the pump for the A2W intercooler mounted to the fan. The Volt actually had a little water pump mounted in that location.

I also got and installed the 90 degree fittings from Vintage Air. These will allow us to go straight down with the AC hoses and keep it neat and tidy. We also got the upper radiator hose sorted out with a Dayco D71576.

One of the Earl's 90 degree swivel heater hose adapters showed up. These will route the hater hoses away from the up-pipe to the turbo. I will probably add high heat sleeving over both of the heater hoses, just in case.

Lastly, Vic and I finalized the design of the turbo support bracket and it was uploaded to Send Cut Send to be cut out. It will be made from .190" 4130 steel.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-04-2022 at 02:59 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Had another, fairly productive day with Vic today. We started putting the rest of the Holley mid-mount system on the front of the engine, so that we didn't have any surprises down the road. Everything went together pretty well, but this power steering return might become a problem. That's a problem for Future Me...

I am not sure where Vic got it, but he has the whole Dayco radiator hose catalog as a PDF. I sat down and looked up hoses that were 1.5" I.D. which matches the lower radiator and the thermostat housing hose size. I found this gem. It has 3 usable, tight 90 degree bends and plenty of straight section, and all of it is 1.5" I.D..

I had also ordered some 1.5" stainless, tight bend J-pipes, one with a 90 degree bend and the other with a 120 degree bend. Both were from Vibrant performance.

This is the configuration that we chose to do, in conjunction with a swivel thermostat housing.

In each picture it looks like it is tight in certain areas, but in reality, there is a solid 3/4" of clearance between all critical areas.

Vic had this nifty, home-made bead rolling tool.

It took a little effort, but we got a nice bead at each end of the tube.

This is the final shape of the lower radiator hose. Murray clamps will be used everywhere on the engine.

Like this one that I got for the intake pipe.

It is finally starting to look like something...

The turbo bracket that was made by Send Cut Send should be here on Wednesday. My friend Tom is also coming for a visit from Alabama and our mission is to get the new Ford 9" from Quick Performance installed. I will also get my new rear tires on Wednesday. Should be interesting!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Nice work!
      1968 Cougar - 408, FiTech, AOD, TCI, Currie, RideTech, Wilwood
      1968 Skylark - 462, TKO 600, RideTech, CPP
      1985 Mustang - 04 Cobra/Terminator Swapped
      1988 Mustang - Vortech V3, Boss 327, Magnum, MaximumMotorsports, StopTech

Looking great Andrew! It looks pretty close to firing up, but I'm sure you have quite a bit more to do. I'll look into the Murray clamps.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

It looks great Andrew. A lot of trial and error.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      It looks great Andrew. A lot of trial and error.
      Yes Sir. That's been the case with this build.

Those are supposedly great clamps. I saw them being used on various Rad Rides builds.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

My friend Blake is a Solid Works wizard and we designed this bracket to support the turbo. I uploaded the file to Send Cut Send and less and a week later I have the part. The holes were left a little undersized on purpose.

Today the tires showed up. Hopefully they fit (they should according to my calculations).

I took the bracket to Vic and today he sent me these pictures.

Pretty excited to finally see the turbo installed without an engine hoist holding it up!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Maybe there is plenty of room but it looks like this will help with your AC lines. https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr....php?pn=342311

Name:  342311.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  706.9 KB

Power steering return can be cut off and tapped, then you can thread a 90* fitting in........or put the jones racing reservoir on that pump if like spending money.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Maybe there is plenty of room but it looks like this will help with your AC lines. https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr....php?pn=342311

Name:  342311.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  706.9 KB

Power steering return can be cut off and tapped, then you can thread a 90* fitting in........or put the jones racing reservoir on that pump if like spending money.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any reason why the vintage Air lines are better than the VA 90° fittings that are on the compressor?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions! Any reason why the vintage Air lines are better than the VA 90° fittings that are on the compressor?

Andrew
      Between the two I think the 90* fitting would be a bit beefier when it comes to any potential stresses vs the formed and welded manifold.
      Tracey

Might have missed it in the threads. What intake and intercooler is that?
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Between the two I think the 90* fitting would be a bit beefier when it comes to any potential stresses vs the formed and welded manifold.
      You mean the ones that are on there now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
      Might have missed it in the threads. What intake and intercooler is that?
      It's a Holley Low-ram base, Tick Performance short intercooler, and a Holley fabricated, side entry lid.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

It looks like it would save space.

Name:  342311_2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  49.8 KB

Side note, that intercooler pump is bonkers and moves some volume with the quickness. Jealous of your progress, well done.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I think it would look better too and offer more clearance so as to not bake the freon from the turbo heat....
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird

I so love progress. I doubt that you have an unlimited source of funds so progress is often controlled by such. You're putting a lot of effort into this and it shows.

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com