Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Andrew, going back to your fuel system set up, is the ZL1 pump module you plan on using part #19303293?

Additionally, am I correct that using that module, (along with the Vapor works #PWZL13B) completely eliminates the need for even an external in-line filter?

Lastly, what size line are you planning on running to the front of the car?

Thanks,
      Greg
      Hi Greg,

As I understand it, with the ZL1 module (I believe it is AC Delco MU2101, but I need to confirm this with Carl from vaporworx) there is no need for an external filter. I may run one anyway where I currently have the Corvette filer/regulator installed.

When I first build the car I installed a 1/2" stainless line that runs front to back, so I plan to use that, but a 3/8" line would be sufficient.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

ACDELCO MU2101 is the Gen5 ZL1 fuel module with the OEM 40F - 250E ohm level sensor. This part still shows up in many systems but may eventually be superceded by FG2074. These are in short supply, an with the current supply chain shortages, I suggest buying sooner than later.

M100081 is the Gen5 ZL1 fuel module without the level sensor. Also under M100281. Save $50 vs. the MU2101.

Both of these modules, along with all other modern GM versions, have final fitering built it. There is no need for an inline filter. However, as Andrew noted, he already has an inline C5 fuel filter/regulator. This part must be removed for proper fuel pressure control when using the vaporworx controller and when using a modern fuel module. Since Andrew already has lines in place, adding an inline filter or hose splice will work fine. An inline filter just becomes redundant. I've not run an inline filter since 2010.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Thanks guys....good to hear a 3/8 line is sufficient as the factory Corvette hard line that runs between the frame and body is 3/8. My plan is to flare both ends of the factory line for a -6 fitting so as to avoid having to either lift the body, or run new lines along the belly of the car.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Thanks for chiming in Carl. I just ordered a MU2101 and it should be here Sunday. I have a Holley programmable fuel level gauge that will be getting installed, so I want a good, OEM sending unit. Hopefully it will be accurate for the first time....ever...LOL

If there is no need for a filter, that will make my life easier. I will exit the pump module with a length of PTFE hose and go directly to my 1/2" stainless line, which already has an AN-6 adapter on it.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I contacted Rick's about a tank for the Vette with the ZL1 pump unit....unfortunately the "Resto-Mod" isn't available for the C2 so my only option is the full fabricated tank....$$$. Fortunately, they're 8-10 weeks out, so if I amortize the cost over 10 weekly payments, its much more palatable
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I finally got all of my wiring supplies and decided to spend a few hours in the garage this afternoon between tuning appointments.

I used 1/8" Raychem DR-25 to protect the delicate wires for the injectors.

I also added labels with clear heat shrink over the top.

Since I didn't build the coil sub harness from scratch, I was limited as to what I could do for wire protection. Holley uses TechFlex F6 split loom on all of their harnesses. While it works well, I find it not as flexible as I like and it doesn't have a very tight weave, so wires can be seen.

After doing a little digging around on the TechFlex website, I saw a F6 variant called F6 woven. It has a tight weave that covers the wires more fully, and it is more flexible than regular F6.

I used the Tessa "fuzzy" harness tape at the junctions. It blends in with the F6 woven pretty nicely.

Wirecare.com has an excellent Deutsch connector configuration guide on their website. They not only offer the basic connectors but also a full assortment of accessories. I got a selection of straight and 90 degree connector "backs" and also some handy connector mounting brackets.

There should be just enough room between the heads and the firewall to mount the coil connectors back there. If it is too tight, I can always straighten out that little bracket to reduce the offset.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-20-2021 at 07:06 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

[QUOTE=andrewb70;1358272]

I also picked up a 5th Gen Camaro starter. I like it because it has mounting tabs for a heat shield and uses a plug for the solenoid, instead of a ring terminal. The starter wire will run along with the crank sensor wire.

I like that line of thinking on the solenoid plug instead of the ring terminal....do you happen to have the part number for the starter?

Edit....found the number for the starter...looks like 12617229....no luck with the pig tail for the solenoid though....or more accurately, the connector and pin to assemble the pig tail for the solenoid.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post

M100081 is the Gen5 ZL1 fuel module without the level sensor. Also under M100281. Save $50 vs. the MU2101.

Carl, for future folks that may find this, can you confirm that part # for the module with no sensor? I think it might supposed to be M100291...
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Country Flag: Canada
      [QUOTE=FLYNAVY53;1359015]
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

I also picked up a 5th Gen Camaro starter. I like it because it has mounting tabs for a heat shield and uses a plug for the solenoid, instead of a ring terminal. The starter wire will run along with the crank sensor wire.

I like that line of thinking on the solenoid plug instead of the ring terminal....do you happen to have the part number for the starter?

Edit....found the number for the starter...looks like 12617229....no luck with the pig tail for the solenoid though....or more accurately, the connector and pin to assemble the pig tail for the solenoid.
      Standard motor products S1029 ;)
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Last edited by andrewb70; 05-25-2021 at 05:20 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Progress has been slow for various reasons, but today I received a little pwm signal generator so that I can test the Chevy Volt fans.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Hey Andrew, just curious....I understand the point of the pwm fuel pump, but what is the advantage of the PWM fan over say a traditional SPAL fan that comes on at a set temp? Not criticizing, just learning.

Thanks!

-Greg
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Hey Andrew, just curious....I understand the point of the pwm fuel pump, but what is the advantage of the PWM fan over say a traditional SPAL fan that comes on at a set temp? Not criticizing, just learning.

Thanks!

-Greg
      Soft start, which eliminates the inrush current spike when the fans kick on. This can is easier on the electrical system.

The second benefit is that the fans only run as fast as they need to in order to maintain engine temperature. This method also maintains a tighter control of engine temperature.

Lastly, noise. Since the fans rarely need to be at full speed, you hardly hear them.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

makes sense...much appreciated!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

makes sense...much appreciated!
      No worries.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I like the late model Camaro starter Andrew.
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      I like the late model Camaro starter Andrew.
      Jason
      Thanks Jason. I used it on my Cougar.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Follow up fan question.....is there anything special about the fans, or is it just the pwm controller....would it be possible to run a PWM controller with any aftermarket fan?

Thanks!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Follow up fan question.....is there anything special about the fans, or is it just the pwm controller....would it be possible to run a PWM controller with any aftermarket fan?

Thanks!
      These fans are special and have the controller built in, which makes life simple.

The alternative is to use a separate controller, if you want to retain your existing fans. I did this on my Cougar and used a C6 Corvette fan along with it's controller. The C6 fan controller can be use with any fans as long as they don't draw more than 32 amps.

The issue that comes up is cost. To do the C6 fan controller will cost about $200. The Volt fans can be had at the junk yard for $75-125. The Volt fans also make the wiring a lot easier and don't require mounting the controller box.

There are other alternatives to the Volt fans, with the C7 Corvette single fan being a good option. It all just depends on your particular radiator core size.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Ok, understood, thanks! I think in my application ('64 Corvette), the single C7 fan may be the best route as the radiator in the C2 is almost square, and really only supports a large single fan set up.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com