Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I used some Permatex Gray to seal the corners of the pan.

Just a little dab on the corners where the front and rear covers meet the block and the oil pan. With a new Fel-pro oil pan gasket.

Lastly, the turbo oil drain ports were sealed off with the supplied plugs and some Earl's thread sealer.

That brings us up to date and wraps up the bottom of the engine. Next time I am out in the garage I plan to flip it over and check which push rods give me the best preload. Then it is time to clean up the intake manifold and start mocking up the engine harness.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 04-28-2021 at 07:45 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Wow is all I can say.

Thank you for the detailed post as I learned a bunch.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      Wow is all I can say.

Thank you for the detailed post as I learned a bunch.
      Hey Marty,

When are we getting your Camaro fired up?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yesterday I sorted out the push rod situation.

I started the check preload on #1 cylinder and things didn't add up, because as I tightened the rocker bolt the valves started to open...hum...

Then I remembered that something similar was happening when I did the cam install on the Cougar. A little more digging around and consulting a buddy that knows more about this than I do, and it all started to make sense.

So in fact, when the cam and crank are lined up dot to dot, this is #1 cylinder on the overlap stroke. My buddy confirmed this. Since #1 is on overlap, this means that #6 is on the compression stroke.

Here you can clearly see that the #1 lifters are not on the base circle.

Here is a comparison between the old 7.400" pushrods on the right and the Summit 7.425" pushrods on the left. The tips appear to be a little smaller on the Summit pushrods, so I think their effective length falls somewhere between 7.400" and 7.425". None of this really matters because what I am after is 1.5 turns from zero lash to full torque spec on the rocker bolts.

I made some marks on the balancer bolt for reference. I really should have done this before I installed the front cover.

In any case, I started with #6, and the Summit Racing 11/32 7.425" pushrods ended up giving me the best preload.

Then I rotated the engine 90 degrees and followed the firing order for all subsequent cylinders. Once I got the technique down for finding zero lash, the preload readings were pretty consistent with 1.5 turns on the intake valves and about 1.6 turns on the exhaust valves.

I am calling that done and sorted.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Hey Marty,

When are we getting your Camaro fired up?

Andrew
      I’m getting closer and closer ever day. If I wasn’t so anal when it comes to making things look neat and tidy I could have been started weeks ago.

Oh and like you I added a few extra things like the Holley Pro Dash.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      I’m getting closer and closer ever day. If I wasn’t so anal when it comes to making things look neat and tidy I could have been started weeks ago.

Oh and like you I added a few extra things like the Holley Pro Dash.
      Nice!

Let me know when you're ready to fire it up and I'll make sure that goes smoothly. The base tunes that Holley provides are going to be way too rich.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

It feels good to be putting stuff back together instead of taking things apart.

This is a new LS3 style valley cover. I really like the internal baffling to keep oil out of the intake.

These are the tall Holley valve covers in red. These will add a touch of color and the red is almost a perfect match to the color of the car.

Just cleaned up the coils and will probably get some ARP stainless bots for the coils.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew, FWIW, those hose barb fittings in the Holley valve covers pull right out. The hole is the exact size needed for a 1/8 NPT tap. I tapped the holes in mine, then used 1/8 NPT to -6 fittings in the valve covers. Completely unnecessary, I just hate hose clamps.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Andrew, FWIW, those hose barb fittings in the Holley valve covers pull right out. The hole is the exact size needed for a 1/8 NPT tap. I tapped the holes in mine, then used 1/8 NPT to -6 fittings in the valve covers. Completely unnecessary, I just hate hose clamps.
      Thanks for the tip! One of those will stay capped off and the other will go to the air filter base. It's just a fresh air intake into the crank case, so there isn't a lot of pressure on those hoses. A 3/8" hose fits pretty snug over those nipples, and a clamp is generally not required.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

yea, completely unnecessary, but I had the fittings so I figured why not...it also allowed me to turn the fitting on the passenger side cover to face aft which cleaned it up a bit.

Name:  IMG_2031.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  386.8 KBName:  IMG_2032.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  350.3 KBName:  IMG_2049.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  348.6 KBName:  IMG_2050.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  416.6 KB
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Yea, its crazy to me that nobody offers one yet....with all the options from Painless, Advanced, Ron Francis, etc that are all pretty much the same, you'd think someone would be leading the charge on a solid state PDM for street cars and hot rods.
      Gents, sorry PDM - unable to decode the acronym? I am fairly certain you don’t mean ‘Passenger Door Module’

Hopefully, someone can describe what that is.

Love the bulkhead connectors Andrew!

Thanks in advance!
      BR/Brian.

Power Distribution Module.....Race Pack Smartwire is a good example if you want to go down the Google rabbit hole, but generally more suited to racing applications.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Ordered a balancer installed tool the other day and it came this morning. So I was able to install the hub of the ATI balancer that comes with the deluxe Holley mid-mount accessory drive kit.

Then the balancer ring gets bolted to the hub. The ATI balancer is a really nice piece.

I didn't torque the balancer bolt yet, and I am not exactly sure if it is on all the way. This was as far as it would go with the installer tool. Hopefully it is fully seated.

Also got new injector 0-rings...

and new intake manifold gaskets. The old ones were in good shape, but I figured it can't hurt.

The intake manifold cleaned up nicely...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

This is the lube that I like to use for injector o-rings.

Also received some ARP stainless header bolts.

Added an Earl's fuel rail adapter. I like this style because it has metal retaining tabs inside and a secondary retention clip.

Looks like Holley revised their injector harness and they are now adding heat shrink labels on the cylinders.

I played around with different routing for the injector harness and I like something like this, on the inside of the rail. I have some different P clamps coming to secure the harness to the studs that hold the fuel rail.

I didn't like how the injectors had about 4 inched of exposed wire, so I used some Tessa harness tape to protect them a little more. Plus this makes the wires blend in.

The coil harness will be retained by the little clips on the rails. I have an assortment of those clips on the way.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Nice Updates!
      The wiring is looking good!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Very clean. Nice work Andrew. Those heat shrink labels on the injectors is a nice touch.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Very clean. Nice work Andrew. Those heat shrink labels on the injectors is a nice touch.
      That's all stock Holley harness. I don't know when they started doing that.

I need to lay the whole harness on the engine and figure out the rest. The MAP sensor lead has to go to the front...cam sensor to the front...I also need to add the AC compressor and alternator lead into the harness.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Nice work. I’d love to come check out the car in person one day. You’re in Wisconsin if I recall? I’m just over the border in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonar89 View Post
      Nice work. I’d love to come check out the car in person one day. You’re in Wisconsin if I recall? I’m just over the border in Illinois.
      I am in the Kansas City area. You're still welcome to come for a visit :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I am in the Kansas City area. You're still welcome to come for a visit :-)

Andrew
      That’s a cruise for me haha! My friend in the military was driving to my area on the weekends for the past few months. 7-8hr but he would do it to be with family and friends. He just moved to a different location so no more of that.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com