Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LQ4 Spun Cam Bearing

So I picked up a LQ4 for free with a spin cam bearing from a friend. The block looks great with no damage at all. It’s torn down to the bare block so I can see everything in there. The cam bearing that spun was the middle one and it tore (I don’t know how else to describe it). What are the chances that I can just have some new cam bearings pressed in and it be okay?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by austinjjesus View Post
      So I picked up a LQ4 for free with a spin cam bearing from a friend. The block looks great with no damage at all. It’s torn down to the bare block so I can see everything in there. The cam bearing that spun was the middle one and it tore (I don’t know how else to describe it). What are the chances that I can just have some new cam bearings pressed in and it be okay?
      Probably. A machine shop can measure the cam bores and determine what's needed.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Probably. A machine shop can measure the cam bores and determine what's needed.

Andrew
      I was gunna take all the parts to get hot tanked so I’ll have them look it over and install some new ones if it’s good. Thanks

If the cam bearing bore itself is tore up it would need some extensive work to repair it. If it's the bearing then just getting them replaced is in order. Any pics of the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by SPLATT71MC View Post
      If the cam bearing bore itself is tore up it would need some extensive work to repair it. If it's the bearing then just getting them replaced is in order. Any pics of the damage?
      I tossed the bearing itself but here’s some bad photos I took before. Have to shoot some more when I get back home Name:  IMG_9153.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  68.8 KBName:  IMG_9154.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  68.9 KB

It appears like the bearing shell didn't spin but something chewed up the bearing face. You should be able to replace the cam bearings and be on your way. Clean everything of course.

It appears like the bearing shell didn't spin but something chewed up the bearing face. You should be able to replace the cam bearings and be on your way. Clean everything of course.
      Appreciate it, I’m going to take it into the machine shop in the next week or so

I got some pictures of the bearing itself Name:  IMG_9178.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  82.3 KBName:  IMG_9179.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  159.8 KBName:  IMG_9038.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  71.3 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com