Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

New 1980 Camaro project.

So it begins.

Saw the car on CL about 2 weeks ago and I contacted the owner (It was his fathers car) and we talked at length about the car. It was Friday and I said if it's as nice as you say I will come on Monday with cash and we can go to the DMV to transfer the title. He said there was a local guy that was coming Saturday morning and he had first shot. I said that's cool and just let me know. Saturday evening he texted me and said the car was sold.
      Last Tuesday the owner called me and said the deal had fallen thru and am I still interested? I said yes and we spent some time talking about the car. He is not a car guy and his dad would want it to go to real car guy not to someone that is going to resell. I have no plan to resell.
      I met him this morning and the car was amazing.
      The good. 28,000 original miles. Original no hit paint. A few dings here and there from 40 years of driving and the black hood insert has some crazing. Original "Oyster" interior. Prefect no crack dash. Rally Sport stripe package. Stainless drip rail molding. Rear window defrost. AM/FM cassette. I have the original window sticker, owners manual and invoice. He paid $7400 in April of 1980. Totally rust free. Glass all around is prefect. Front nose has some waves but they all did. Tail lights are very nice. Trim around the front and back glass are very nice. Console is perfect with no burns.
      The bad is that it's a V6/three speed car. That V6 was junk in 1980. Can't do a V6.
      So here's the plan. I have a LS3/4L60E in my shop. Totally rebuild the underside of the car and leave the car interior and outside "patina" with a totally upgraded underside and engine/trans.
      I will update with progress. Tonight I just sitting here looking at it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com