Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Dealer failed to title my car, now they are forced to buy it back

Just as the title states,

I bought a 70k mile 2012 Boss 302 Mustang on May 1st 2020. I fell in love with the car and got it for a sub 20K price tag. The car has HID headlights, bmr control arms, bmr springs, RTR tail panel delete, and some massive staggered 20" wheels with 305 rubber out back. The car had some signs of age in the paint but it was mechanically flawless. Within 10 days of ownership I added a MGW race spec shifter, steeda X brace, steeda jacking rails, BBX X pipe (the boss exhaust was missing baffles and it was too loud), OEM GT500 mufflers, and multiple ford parts to restore the car, it needed a seat track position sensor, battery hold down, and license plate bracket. All in all I added $2000 in parts.

90 days passed and I never got a license plate or registration. My local AAA was no help and the dealer dodged all my inquires. I finally called a lawyer in July. Due to COVID and slow court process I opted for arbitration. The dealer has finally agreed to buy back the car and give me full reimbursement for all payments made, insurance, and aftermarket parts. My lawyer stated the arbitrators denied punitive damages. We are now asking for damages for loss of utility and storage. I have had this car in my garage the whole time, I have still made payments and kept insurance on it. I only got to enjoy it for 1200 miles, as it was my weekend car. Due to it not being titled I wasn't able to drive it all summer.

I'm going to miss this car. It turned heads wherever I went. Really sucks this whole situation will end with just a flat refund, like this was a sweater that didn't fit and I get to return it. The dealer is paying all lawyer and arbitration fees. guess that's a win? what are your thoughts?

Country Flag: United States
      That's a shame! Slick car for sure. Was there no way to get them to title it through arbitration? I am curious to what the dealer will do with it. Title it and resell? What a waste of your time and effort. There is a dealer here in Aurora, CO that I warn everyone about but we didn't have nearly the issue you had.

I hope you find another one soon!
      Matt H.

I'm like Matt, seems like the dealer should have some recourse as to titling the car for you.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I'm like Matt, seems like the dealer should have some recourse as to titling the car for you.
      The case still isn't settled. I really wanted to try to punish this dealer for doing this but all demands for extra compensation outside what i have provided in receipts has been denied by the arbitrators.

I still have no idea what the hold up for the title is. I live in California, the car came with a clean history report from car-fax and it was last registered in Vermont. Im thinking their is some lean on the car not satisfied or someone reported it stolen and got an insurance payout. It could have been an auction car. who knows at this point.

I have looked at other mustangs for sale. nothing is close to this car in value or price. all the 2015+ models are way over priced and the 11-14 GTs are all high mileage and expensive.

Im just going to save the money, drive my aging honda until it dies and finish my LS swapped turbo charged 67 mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by DCx View Post
      I have looked at other mustangs for sale. nothing is close to this car in value or price.
      Wonder if that's not the reason right there? Might be they sold it for less than they were supposed to and this is their way of getting it back. Letting them have the car back means they're rewarded for this as they had use of your money for X months, then they can resell at a higher price and you're out the car. I'm no lawyer but if you really want the car you could probably back out of arbitration and sue for breach of contract. Talk to the bank that loaned the money on it, because with no title they have no collateral for the loan.

Course, personally I think you dodged a bullet there, because now you can go buy a nice Camaro or Challenger.

Course, personally I think you dodged a bullet there, because now you can go buy a nice Camaro or Challenger.
      I agree, getting out from under shady dealings is a blessing in disguise. I actually financed a small portion of the car. I called my lender before filing the lawsuit and asked if they had the title, They didn't. That sparked a rather interesting conversation with thier auto loan department. The lender was named as a defendant in the lawsuit but im not getting anything from them for brokering a loan for an asset they didn't own. Its a massive corporate lender and bank as well.

I have been considering a 2014-2015 camaro. I like the tail lights and the fact they come with a damn good manual trans. Despite a $500 MGW shifter, fluid and a new busing the MT-82 in the coyote mustangs are garbage.

I think someone might want the car that is at the dealership, or a friend of a friend of a friend etc.. Wonder if you could do a ****** to see who last had the title, or apply for a lost title. just a thought.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I think someone might want the car that is at the dealership, or a friend of a friend of a friend etc.. Wonder if you could do a ****** to see who last had the title, or apply for a lost title. just a thought.
      I actually found a California registration in the trunk of the car dated 2 weeks prior to the day I bought the car. The address was for an individual that lived in the same town I bought the car in. The lean holder was from out of state. In bold letters the registration stated "no title available/non transferable"

I brought that document to my local AAA and the lady at the desk said she couldn't release any information to me because i had no ties to the car in the DMV system.

I haven't heard from my lawyer in two weeks. I am due to make Decembers payment on the car as well.

I agree with Vimes. Sounds like their trying to hose you. Again.
      Why can’t they fix the title issue? And compensate you for loss of use for the time you’ve had it.
      You might need a different lawyer and/or go outside the arbitration process.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank. Built for 35 mpg. So far 32.

That title you found does point towards the dealer having a legitimate issue then, instead of trying to rip you off. It's a shame that dealers have that reputation, where it's assumed they're ripping you off until proven otherwise.

Based on what that title you found says, I think I'd go ahead and accept the arbitration so long as they make you whole and cover your lawyer. The dealer's going to have to figure out how to get the title clear, and it's liable to cost a chunk depending on what's owed. They may wind up having to part the car out to get their money back, or go after the person they got the car from. In any case, I imagine the dealer's going to lose money on this deal.

That's a shame. You got a great car at a great price. I have the Kona blue boss 302 and love it (and have yet to have any of the reported issues with the trans..even after lots of track time). It would be nice if you could find a way to keep it.

my wife found herself in a similar situation where the CA DMV screwed something up and her registration was revoked without notification. She drove the unregistered car for about 9 months before finding this our from a police officer. it took another 9 months for the lender to finally get a hold of the car title, but they kept pushing us to do something about it even though we never had the title in our hands at any point in the process. I was certainly tempted to stop making payments and part the car out toward the end of this debacle. Fast forward to today, the car was sold 18 months ago, and despite our best efforts to follow the correct release of liability process, we cant seem to convince CA that we don't own the car which is problematic because the new owner has made a habit of driving it in express lanes and parking it wherever he pleases. so this is the gift that keeps on giving.

Moral of the story. If you live in CA. don't own a car.....I guess.

Just drop the car off at the dealer sans powertrain. find an old foxbody to put it in.....or stop making payments and make it a dedicated track car.

ok. don't listen to any of my advice. Just hope things work out for you.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Moral of the story. If you live in CA. don't own a car.....
      Given the current affairs of California i would have to agree with you! I have contemplated getting a new edge mustang and doing a coyote swap but the BAR and smog laws are just too strict to enjoy any car over the year of 1976. I blame that on the reason why I own 3 classic cars and have never extensively modified a late model car.

I feel like i missed out on the golden era of LS1 performance living in this state.

Wish I could move.

Quote Originally Posted by DCx View Post
      Given the current affairs of California i would have to agree with you! I have contemplated getting a new edge mustang and doing a coyote swap but the BAR and smog laws are just too strict to enjoy any car over the year of 1976. I blame that on the reason why I own 3 classic cars and have never extensively modified a late model car.

I feel like i missed out on the golden era of LS1 performance living in this state.

Wish I could move.
      Oddly, for a state with such strict emissions rules, i see more cars here with visible emissions than any other state i have lived in. Wonder if its because they only inspect every 2 years. In the end the citizens are more burdened by the rules and cost, yet i wonder if the outcome is any better than states that have more reasonable rules but test every year.

Planning my exit now. Among other reasons, The ca dmv holds way to much power and they are complete f*** ups.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Greasy Gavin has got me all wound up.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

I work for the state of California... good ol Gavin allowed our unions to skim 9% of my pre-tax income in favor of 16 hours of non paid leave, due to budget crisis...

SOB!!!

UPDATE!

well the car is mine, registration magically showed up with plates in March, wasn't good until April 8th. Lawyer gave me the green light to enjoy the car. Since its registered in my name buy back is no longer an option. We are locked in for arbitration, waiting on a hearing date. Looks like we are seeking compensation for loss of utility for 10 months as well as legal fees.

Damn glad to hear you get to keep it, after all the hassles due to their failure.
      Enjoy the car man, give it a fresh tank of gas and go DRIVE!
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      Oddly, for a state with such strict emissions rules, i see more cars here with visible emissions than any other state i have lived in. Wonder if its because they only inspect every 2 years. In the end the citizens are more burdened by the rules and cost, yet i wonder if the outcome is any better than states that have more reasonable rules but test every year.

Planning my exit now. Among other reasons, The ca dmv holds way to much power and they are complete f*** ups.

Funny you should say that - I know a guy in California who has a supercharged big block in a large SUV, which I won't name just in case the DMV is spying. Every other year he pulls the drivetrain, puts the stock setup back in, and gets smogged. Immediately after, the stock setup comes back out and the supercharged system goes back in.

I'm really hoping the recall goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Funny you should say that - I know a guy in California who has a supercharged big block in a large SUV, which I won't name just in case the DMV is spying. Every other year he pulls the drivetrain, puts the stock setup back in, and gets smogged. Immediately after, the stock setup comes back out and the supercharged system goes back in.

I'm really hoping the recall goes through.
      Same here brother.

You know in the midst of all this pandemic and car mishap I was thinking of doing an LS swap on a new edge mustang and doing the same thing, swap the drivetrain to get a smog every 2 years. That idea fell by the wayside but realistically i wanted to see how fast I could swap in a 5.3, holley terminator X, and a t56 leaving me as much of those two years to drive the car! could you imagine trying to pull that off, put the car in non op, run out of time and have to pull it all apart again/.

I swear, if I wasn't in a state with such restrictions I would be driving more swapped projects pre 1976!

Just to give an update:

I sold the Boss 302 to a local dealer for way more than I originally paid for it. This used car market is crazy. I still haven't settled the lawsuit yet. I have an tentative date of October 27 for arbitration. Lawyer gave me the green light to re-sell the car since the dealer buying it back was no longer an option.

I was able to snag a few parts off of the car which I will re-sell.

While I was at it I sold my house (so-california) and made a KILLING on it. moving back into my folks with a small fortune and no debt. not a bad place to be.

Hey, I just noticed you are out in the ghetto with me! Im up by the college. Not sure where you were/are now.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com