Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      I’ve installed 4 of those PCM of nc kits. Never once had a issue other than a variation of a pin location.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      I’ve installed 4 of those PCM of nc kits. Never once had a issue other than a variation of a pin location.
      Yup, That also what Mark mentioned. He said a change on how the pin locks could have been made in the box. By the way Customer service is really great!

What's interesting is the Pin I need is identical to that of the truck harness. My box just uses the terminal without the tangs and the wing to properly seat. You can physically install the pin from the PCM of NC and it sits snug, but it does not "click" or seat all the way into place. If I use the pin as shown in the pictures without the tangs it easily installs and it properly seats into place.

My fix was to cut the two tangs off the PCMofNC terminal and it "clicked" in to place. Without removing the tangs I could easily pull the wire out without needing a de-pinning tool. In my case, without modifying the pin vibration could easily work it loose over time.

I wanted to point this out for others in case someone else runs into this issue. My GMPP kit has a manufacturing date of January 2020. Maybe there is a revision or I have a unicorn GMPP box, that just happens to match the truck box I have, lol.

As a side note;
      Although I already installed this kit, I will end up using the vaporworx pwm controller for the fans and fuel pump.
      Nothing wrong with the PCM of NC kit. In fact I feel it is a very nice kit with everything you need to install it on the car and customer service is fantastic.

I ended up taking a trip out to visit Carl for the PWM fuel pump controller and had a chance to play with the fan controller as well. I ended up getting both from him. Since I installed the PCM of NC kit, I will just re purpose the relays. I have not had a chance to fully think through this, so I will report back once I have a better idea of how this will now get wired.

Giving an update to this thread: I had to take a break on this but now I am back on track to finishing this swap. Motor is in and I have been working on the interior wiring and now getting to the final stretch for power wiring and battery mounting.

I ended up moving the battery to the back and after reading the 1000's of threads about wiring a trunk mount battery I am regretting it already. Seems we have many ways to go about it and I think I narrowed it down to 2 ways for me.

Option 1:( MAD Electric variation )
      1/0 Starter cable
      Battery to Ford Solenoid
      Ford Solenoid to passthrough on firewall
      passthrough to Starter lug

8ga Charge cable
      Battery to 175amp fuse
      175 amp fuse to power cutoff
      power cutoff to firewall passthrough
      passthrough to Alt (2x 8ga or 4ga)
      and
      Fused link for AAW and Fused link for GMPP ( Fused link = Maxi fuse or Mega Fuse )

Option 2:
      Battery to Fuse/Breaker
      Breaker to passthrough on firewall
      passthrough to starter lug
      firewall passthrough
      passthrough to Alt (2x 8ga or 4ga)
      and
      Fused link for AAW and Fused link for GMPP ( Fused link = Maxi fuse or Mega Fuse )

The difference is removing the Ford relay and running just 1 live 1/0 cable, but I would add a big 300amp fuse or reset-able breaker.

My concerns are the GMPP box and "noisy power" as Don has mentioned earlier. It seems that putting the GMPP box on the firewall passthrough with the alternator could cause potential issues. Should I consider running another wire to the trunk just for the GMPP box?

I have it currently laid out and for the most part the 1/0 cable is in and the 8 Gauge. They are run through the cabin and connected to the pass through terminals. I am still trying to figure out which way to go and the more I read the more I get indecisive.

I take my lead from the OEMs. Fifth and sixth gen Camaros have trunk mounted batteries and they don’t use a solenoid. Just another part to fail imho….

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I take my lead from the OEMs. Fifth and sixth gen Camaros have trunk mounted batteries and they don’t use a solenoid. Just another part to fail imho….

Don
      Hi Don,

Thanks for the response. I have read a few posts where you mention this. I am leaning to this setup as well, but I think my main concern is the GMPP power to the same lug as the Alternator. Since I have the 8GA wire already ran should I just leave the alternator and AAW main power wire on the 8 GA to the battery and run the GMPP box off the 1/0 starter wire to the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgezee1 View Post
      Hi Don,

Thanks for the response. I have read a few posts where you mention this. I am leaning to this setup as well, but I think my main concern is the GMPP power to the same lug as the Alternator. Since I have the 8GA wire already ran should I just leave the alternator and AAW main power wire on the 8 GA to the battery and run the GMPP box off the 1/0 starter wire to the battery?
      So you ran 1/0 and 8 gauge from the battery to the front? I think either way is fine.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

So you ran 1/0 and 8 gauge from the battery to the front? I think either way is fine.

Don
      Don,

Yes, I have already ran both cables from the trunk to the front firewall and have two pass through terminals. One is on the bottom next to the VA drain hose and the other is on the firewall near the back of the passenger side coil packs.
      The trunk side of the wiring are still not terminated, so I guess I am looking to get help and lock down a solution. My concerns really revolves around the ECU and GMPP harness that wants to run direct to the battery. I am not sure if I put the GMPP power wire with the Alternator wire, I will introduce noise or AC ripple or anything else that could cause an electric issue in future with the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgezee1 View Post
      Don,

Yes, I have already ran both cables from the trunk to the front firewall and have two pass through terminals. One is on the bottom next to the VA drain hose and the other is on the firewall near the back of the passenger side coil packs.
      The trunk side of the wiring are still not terminated, so I guess I am looking to get help and lock down a solution. My concerns really revolves around the ECU and GMPP harness that wants to run direct to the battery. I am not sure if I put the GMPP power wire with the Alternator wire, I will introduce noise or AC ripple or anything else that could cause an electric issue in future with the ECU.
      Ok then attach the GMPP to the 1/0 cable. Should be fine.

Or attach the alternator to the 1/0 cable and everything else to the 8 wire.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

If you have electric fans connect them to the 1/0 cable.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Ok then attach the GMPP to the 1/0 cable. Should be fine.

Or attach the alternator to the 1/0 cable and everything else to the 8 wire.

Don
      Don,

Thank you for all the help and contributions you make on this and various other forums! It really is great to have a community of people and professionals we can ask and get help with our projects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com