Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clutch and flywheel recommendations...

'73 Camaro, LS427/570, T56 Super Magnum. Probably going to use a QuickTime bell housing. Still gotta figure out the clutch and flywheel. Plan is track days and daily driving. Based on searches here and other resources, looks like a lot of people are happy with the LS7 clutch kits out there. How do you guys feel about that clutch and flywheel for my application and purpose? Should I only be looking at one of those components and replacing the other? Should I research something else entirely? Also, is there a part number out there for the entire kit? I seem to be able to only find the clutch (24255748).

Any and all recommendations and feedback are very much welcomed.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

we roasted the LS7 clutch in our 500RWHP Camaro recently. Mostly spirited street driving and few trips to the drags. We replaced it with Monster street triple with intentions of throwing some nitrous at it.

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      we roasted the LS7 clutch in our 500RWHP Camaro recently. Mostly spirited street driving and few trips to the drags. We replaced it with Monster street triple with intentions of throwing some nitrous at it.
      Your power level is above what the LS7 clutch is recommended for. Also, "a few trips to the drags" can easily smoke any organic clutch if it is being slipped to achieve optimal traction at the line. Your experience doesn't change the fact that the LS7 clutch is excellent (although heavy), when used properly and not treated as a racing clutch.

This is a LS7 clutch and flywheel kit:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Luk is the OEM supplier of LS7 clutches.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      How has the new clutch been so far? How does it feel compared to your previous clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Your power level is above what the LS7 clutch is recommended for. Also, "a few trips to the drags" can easily smoke any organic clutch if it is being slipped to achieve optimal traction at the line. Your experience doesn't change the fact that the LS7 clutch is excellent (although heavy), when used properly and not treated as a racing clutch.

This is a LS7 clutch and flywheel kit:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Thanks, Andrew. So it sounds like the LS7 clutch isn't going to work for my application either since I'm planning on track days and being over 500rwhp. Correct? Is there a something else I should be looking into?

Ive driven a few different clutch setups on the LS platform over the years and only the stock stuff ever felt "great" to me. In my truck I've been running a Mcleod RST twin disc and I love it so much that I just scored a smoking deal on an RST for my 443" LS that is being built right now to go in my car. So that's my recommendation.

Rated for 700ft lbs and the pedal effort is crazy easy.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Ive driven a few different clutch setups on the LS platform over the years and only the stock stuff ever felt "great" to me. In my truck I've been running a Mcleod RST twin disc and I love it so much that I just scored a smoking deal on an RST for my 443" LS that is being built right now to go in my car. So that's my recommendation.

Rated for 700ft lbs and the pedal effort is crazy easy.
      Thanks. I'll throw it on the list and look into it.

Edit: I'm reading really great things about this clutch. Gave McLeod a call and they told me for my application to move up to the RTX. I'm going to give this one a much closer look.

Any thoughts on the Centerforce dual friction kits or DYAD DS kits?

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      How has the new clutch been so far? How does it feel compared to your previous clutch?

Thanks, Andrew. So it sounds like the LS7 clutch isn't going to work for my application either since I'm planning on track days and being over 500rwhp. Correct? Is there a something else I should be looking into?
      The other part of the equation is cost. The LS7 clutch is cheap. You can have a smooth clutch with good torque capacity, but it will be three times the cost. Clutches are also wear items, and the rate of wear is directly related to the amount of heat that is generated by the driving style.

Fast...Reliable....Cheap...pick two.

If cost is not an issues, look at the RPS carbon/carbon.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The other part of the equation is cost. The LS7 clutch is cheap. You can have a smooth clutch with good torque capacity, but it will be three times the cost. Clutches are also wear items, and the rate of wear is directly related to the amount of heat that is generated by the driving style.

Fast...Reliable....Cheap...pick two.

If cost is not an issues, look at the RPS carbon/carbon.
      Reliability is going to almost always be my priority. With this particular component, I'm not planning on going cheap. Here's some of the other kits I'm looking at as well:

Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the LS7 clutch feel and engagement. As Andrew noted, we were a little optimistic in its capability for our application.

Regarding the monster triple, the pedal is definitely heavier. Tho we did add a Tick master and that may have contributed. Engagement is in line with the LS7 clutch, which surprised me being an unstrung hub

The McLeod RST is a great option, but also look into the Tilton ST-246 part# 55-1004. It's a really nice clutch for everyday driving that will also hold up to abuse.https://shop.bowlertransmissions.com...for-ls-engines
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com