Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Bell housing recommendations...

'73 Camaro, LS427/570, T56. Plan is track days and daily driving. My priority is safety and reliability over cost. I'm getting a few recommendations on bell housings that I've been told to research.

I'm sure there's more out there I should be considering. These are just the ones I've been told to check out so far. Would love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

QT is the only one with a SFI sticker/certification on it. It's installed on the majority of builds you'll see here.

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      QT is the only one with a SFI sticker/certification on it. It's installed on the majority of builds you'll see here.
      Is there any other housing I should be considering that's SFI-approved?

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Is there any other housing I should be considering that's SFI-approved?

Although it's not SFI certified, you may want to check out the Quicktime RM-8019(we call it the 8020LP). It's just like the 8020 but has the bottom "lip" removed so it doesn't hang lower than the oil pan.

https://shop.bowlertransmissions.com...vy-low-profile
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      Although it's not SFI certified, you may want to check out the Quicktime RM-8019(we call it the 8020LP). It's just like the 8020 but has the bottom "lip" removed so it doesn't hang lower than the oil pan.

https://shop.bowlertransmissions.com...vy-low-profile
      I was looking at that one. Do you have any idea why it isn't certified? Seems like the exact same thing as 8020, but without the lip.

Country Flag: Canada
      i have a ls/t56 quick time bellhousing id sell ....only one problem is i removed the sfi sticker when i went to paint and detail the transmission , just never ended up doing the bellhousing . it was only used for mock up otherwise its new
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      i have a ls/t56 quick time bellhousing id sell ....only one problem is i removed the sfi sticker when i went to paint and detail the transmission , just never ended up doing the bellhousing . it was only used for mock up otherwise its new
      What did you replace it with and why?

I was looking at that one. Do you have any idea why it isn't certified? Seems like the exact same thing as 8020, but without the lip.
      Because removing the lip negates the SFI certification standards.

The SFI bell housing rules made a lot of sense in the 60s when racers would routinely rev engines to 9-10K RPM while using cast iron flywheels and side stepping the clutch. Do flywheels break? Of course. Is it a huge concern? Not in my opinion. I understand the need to be safe, but if we are that concerned about safety, we wouldn't be building 50 year old cars, but should be driving Volvos.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-02-2020 at 07:00 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      What did you replace it with and why?
      replaced it with nothing and ummmm because lmao , i wanted to free up some cash so i sold my t56 mag. since then I've been thinking of a 10 speed auto. so to be honest and answer you . replaced for no real reason and with an auto ...??? make me a good offer ill send it your way . only reason i haven't posted it for sale is because knowing my luck ( god hates me ) ill have 14 guys want it but then when i tell them it doesn't have the sfi sticker they wont want it lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

They won't certify it since it isn't fully bolted along the bottom edge. It's built to the exact same standards as the regular RM-8020 so I wouldn't be worried about it unless you need the SFI certification, then I would go with the RM-8020.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      They won't certify it since it isn't fully bolted along the bottom edge. It's built to the exact same standards as the regular RM-8020 so I wouldn't be worried about it unless you need the SFI certification, then I would go with the RM-8020.
      I sure wish they had made this for a Pontiac engine too. Mine has been self clearancing on railroad crossings that are all around my house and I'm about ready to just grind the **** out of it out of frustration to make it flat on the bottom!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.