Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ridetech 4link Suspension on 1st Gen camaro and diff positioning...

Hi guys,

I'm chasing some advice.

My 68 Camaro has been a work in progress for some years. I had ridetech 4link installed on the rear sometime back.
      My car is not on 100% on the road yet, but I recently have access to a vehicle lift, so I have been under my car more often lately.

I have just noticed recently my diff is not centered....or at least I believe it is center in relation to the ridetech cradle and hardware, but not in relation to the body of my car. If that makes sense?

I know taking measurements from the body on these old cars is not the ideal way to do things, but I have some photos on here for review.

I know it is not uncommon for there to be some differences between rear wheels from side to side and how they sit in relation to the body. Also with these old bodies, ya never know for sure what life they have had.

Anyway - I have noticed a difference in where my rear wheels sit and also my that drive/tail shaft is not 100% center either as it heads towards the diff.

I have measured all the bits on my 4link, the arms, the tabs welded to the axle for the top suspension arm - everything appears to be consistent on either side.

Is this sort of difference common?

***sorry images are all turned around.....they did that after being uploaded for some reason.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Country Flag: United States
      You can use your upper bars to position the rear side to side. It makes it easier if you have double adjustable ones. If you want to move the rear right (looking from rear of car), then lengthen the left one and shorten the right one that same amount of flats (turns of the upper bar center section. I used a piece of tape on the flats for reference. To move it left, do the opposite, lengthen right and shorten the left. I had my wheels/tires on wheel cribs (weight on on the “ground”) while adjusting it, I suppose you could do the same with jack stands.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Well....

I downloaded the ridetech manual...reviewed the information.

First off, the spacers for my lower arms were not set right....so I corrected that. The correct orientation of the spacers is to allow wider wheels, so the lower arms angle inwards - more of a wheel clearance thing as opposed to centering the diff.

I adjusted the upper bars as suggested though and WOW....huge difference. I thought it would require heaps of adjustment, but tweaking both upper arms in the right direction - just a little - pulled it all centre.

Really not sure if changing the lower arm spacers did anything, but potentially was a combination of things causing my issue.

Driveshaft and diff sit straight now though. I measured up the wheels and distances to body - all looks pretty good. More measuring to do in order to make sure it is really in-line with everything else, but visually looks great.

Thanks for the advice on the upper arms! : )

Country Flag: United States
      If you have any driveline vibration issues, you can lengthen/shorten both of the upper bars to get the desired angle. Do both the same amount. I have used the Tremec smart phone app to measure the driveline angle and it works great, or you can use an angle finder with the spicer smart phone app.

Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      If you have any driveline vibration issues, you can lengthen/shorten both of the upper bars to get the desired angle. Do both the same amount. I have used the Tremec smart phone app to measure the driveline angle and it works great, or you can use an angle finder with the spicer smart phone app.
      My buddy may need that app for the angle measurement of the driveline. We'll start working on it after we finished installing the suspension and vision truck wheels on the Silverado and clear the garage. Are those free apps?

TRemec one was free from apple app store - yep.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com