Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 Firebird new build - new subframe suggestions

So i recently decided to take the plunge and bought a 68 convertible firebird to convert into a pro-touring car. The ultimate goal is build the perfect driving car for some spirited driving in the hills of Tennessee as well as maybe even an autocross event here or there if I can find them. I've never attempted any type of project like this before and will be getting some help from Friends.

My budget is relatively open, but I would rather not have $100k into the car right away. I have been planning on replacing the subframe and all of the suspension. My plan is to go LS with between 500-600hp and a T-56.

I was told Detroit Speed has one of the best subframes and I saw they are having a black Friday sale. I also saw that speed tech has some nice set ups.

I'm looking for suggestions before I pull the trigger on something which I need to do tomorrow before the sale ends.

Country Flag: United States
      I like Speedtech extreme because the rack and pinion is far superior to the DSE rack imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Welcome to the forum!!

is the factory frame damaged? or do you just want a frame change, for what you will pay for a just subframe from DSE, A full ridetech kit and that wil cover front suspension and rear 4 link, coilovers, sway bar with the truturn allowing you to run a 275 front tire on a 9.5 rim with 5.5 backspace. is a great way to go that kit runs 5100 retail plus the tru turn I have a sale on that right now my shop is Suspension Geek, in Lawrenceburg Tennessee I have raced all levels with the ridetech kit, I do sell the DSE gear also so if you really want the DSE subframe I will match the DSE discount.. actually I will beat it.. call me at the shop 931-231-4505

here is my car running NCM withe the ridetech gear for optima
      Name:  051-optima-ultimate-street-car-1968-camaro_zpslhphq0o4 - Copy (2).jpg
Views: 365
Size:  84.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wastntim View Post
      So i recently decided to take the plunge and bought a 68 convertible firebird to convert into a pro-touring car. The ultimate goal is build the perfect driving car for some spirited driving in the hills of Tennessee as well as maybe even an autocross event here or there if I can find them. I've never attempted any type of project like this before and will be getting some help from Friends.

My budget is relatively open, but I would rather not have $100k into the car right away. I have been planning on replacing the subframe and all of the suspension. My plan is to go LS with between 500-600hp and a T-56.

I was told Detroit Speed has one of the best subframes and I saw they are having a black Friday sale. I also saw that speed tech has some nice set ups.

I'm looking for suggestions before I pull the trigger on something which I need to do tomorrow before the sale ends.
      Last edited by Rod; 11-29-2020 at 10:58 AM.

I went with DSE on mine for several reasons:
      Everyone and his brother has done one so it’s easy to get questions answered
      Holley makes a direct fit exhaust for a DSE car.
      Easiest setup to find exactly what fits with it.
      I was not comfortable with shock valving from the other company that I was considering.
      At the time headers were hard to come by for the extreme sub, don’t know if this has been resolved.
      Definitely would NOT do the ST pro touring subframe.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Is the 275 on a 9.5 rim possible without inner fender modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I like Speedtech extreme because the rack and pinion is far superior to the DSE rack imho.

Don
      ^^^ This. Ditto.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I have a 67 Firebird and was planning on doing a front subframe as well but I am considering a full SPEC frame from the Roadster shop since it seems to be a fully sorted out design that fixes the location of the front and rear suspension and everything else and makes the assembly potentially more straight forward and faster. After messing around with trying to square up the front subframe on another 67 Firebird I realized that I couldn't get it perfect and had to make trade-offs between some of the measurements when squaring it up. I also don't want to worry about the driveshaft angles, exhaust and brake line routing, steering mounting etc. This has all been worked out by the Roadster Shop. I like the idea of having a whole frame that I know is build to better standards than the original car with the front and back perfectly square to each other and then just lowering the Firebird shell on top of it. This idea however does not seem that popular for some reason. Maybe it's the cost. I guess it ends up being a bit more once you add everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by pringles View Post
      I have a 67 Firebird and was planning on doing a front subframe as well but I am considering a full SPEC frame from the Roadster shop since it seems to be a fully sorted out design that fixes the location of the front and rear suspension and everything else and makes the assembly potentially more straight forward and faster. After messing around with trying to square up the front subframe on another 67 Firebird I realized that I couldn't get it perfect and had to make trade-offs between some of the measurements when squaring it up. I also don't want to worry about the driveshaft angles, exhaust and brake line routing, steering mounting etc. This has all been worked out by the Roadster Shop. I like the idea of having a whole frame that I know is build to better standards than the original car with the front and back perfectly square to each other and then just lowering the Firebird shell on top of it. This idea however does not seem that popular for some reason. Maybe it's the cost. I guess it ends up being a bit more once you add everything up.
      I like Roadster Shop but I will never pay their outrageous crating and shipping fees. It’s complete BS imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com