Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Lingenfelter makes an adapter at 289 bucks a pop that lets you use regular instruments with a GM CAN system.
      Thanks for the compliment and for the Ligenfelter adapter suggestion. I will take a look at the adapter.

Country Flag: United States
      Just in case you'd like to know, the crown vic coilovers take 5" diameter springs. That's the same size as mustang 2 stuff so there is a broad spectrum of spring rates available if you wish to retain the oem shock.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      Just in case you'd like to know, the crown vic coilovers take 5" diameter springs. That's the same size as mustang 2 stuff so there is a broad spectrum of spring rates available if you wish to retain the oem shock.
      I was unaware that the mustang 2 springs were the same size. Good to know. Thanks.

One nice thing about working on a truck cab is that a rotisserie is not needed. One person can flip them on the side or back. Spot welding on the underside is almost finished.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice metal work, nice job on the frame also!
      Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
      Nice metal work, nice job on the frame also!
      Thanks, Eddie. Lots of work left to do, particularly refining the sheet metal work (including patches of bullet holes!)

Bob

Finished the frame for a removable dash panel.

Wise move! And if you hadn't already considered it, you could add a quick disconnect to the wiring so you can easily remove the dash for servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      you could add a quick disconnect to the wiring so you can easily remove the dash for servicing.
      That is the plan, Peanut. A plan to eliminate or at least reduce the physical contortions typically necessary to work on stuff behind a dash!

Also, I plan to use a permanently mounted table for a dashboard (OBD2), so as technology changes I can pop the dash to mount a different tablet or whatever.

Excellent.

I'm a Studebaker guy, and I'm jealous of the R-series Stude truck guys who can easily access the back of their gauge panel through the top of the firewall in the engine compartment!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      Excellent.

I'm a Studebaker guy, and I'm jealous of the R-series Stude truck guys who can easily access the back of their gauge panel through the top of the firewall in the engine compartment!
      Peanut, I almost bought a R-series Stude with excellent sheetmetal and bad engine. In 1967. For $50. Still regret not buying it! Love the R-series and the '37 Express Coupe pickup.

Getting some motivational power for the old truck! 3UZ.

Looking good!

That's got to feel good.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Finished most of the exhaust system while I could work on it from above and not laying on my back.

Nice to hear it run, but a long way from being drivable.

Fuel and brake lines next, then back to body work.

Progress has been slow for a variety of reasons, but I have adapted a Lincoln/Taurus 2-speed radiator fan and shroud to the radiator. These fans flow a lot of air, even on low, and are relatively inexpensive in salvage yards.
      Name:  IMG_5966.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  205.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by charliebob View Post
      Progress has been slow for a variety of reasons, but I have adapted a Lincoln/Taurus 2-speed radiator fan and shroud to the radiator. These fans flow a lot of air, even on low, and are relatively inexpensive in salvage yards.
      Nice, but one point on those fans - they need a special controller that can flip between low and high speed. Otherwise they'll burn out quickly. Plenty of them for sale out there though, and the pricing isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Nice, but one point on those fans - they need a special controller that can flip between low and high speed. Otherwise they'll burn out quickly. Plenty of them for sale out there though, and the pricing isn't bad.
      Thanks Vimes. This is the third one I have done. Being a bottom feeder (pull-a-part), I use a 2-speed fan relay from a Volvo and a 2 level temp switch from either a BMW or Old Mercedes, all connected to a 75 amp continuous duty relay. So far, no problems going back over 5 years.

I also use this wiring combo with a dual fan from a 2002 Windstar in an El Camino with LS engine.

Some, maybe all, the Lincoln MK8s have variable speed fans, which do require a special controller. Variable and 2-speed fan motors look exactly the same and have the same 3-wire plug. Actually, the one shown is from a V8 T'Bird. You have to check the motor # to find out whether it is 2-speed or variable.

Let me know if you would like part numbers for the Volvo relay, temp switches, or fans.

Thanks for the warning about controllers.

I wouldn't for myself, but it would be beneficial to others that want to follow. The last few efan conversions I've done have been in GM trucks using factory fans, and I used the ECM to control them. So far I've done two GMT800 trucks using a 2006-07 fan assembly, and one 1st gen Colorado using half a GMT800 fan assembly, but man is that one ugly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com