Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Longer, Lower Wider Ford Jailbar Touring Project

Intro to my build project:

This thread represents my efforts to build a longer, lower & wider Jailbar with custom frame and modern suspension and power train. Old folks like me will remember the advertising jingle for longer, lower, wider cars! This is a longer, lower, wider truck that will be comfortable for my 6’ 3”

Several years ago I bought a 47 that had serious cancer in all the wrong places—body seams—but had very good doors and sections that could be used for patch panels. Sold off everything except the cab and front clip. I recently found a fire truck cab and front clip that was in excellent shape … except for a few bullet holes!

The 40-47 Ford trucks are known throughout the world as Jailbars because of the grille. Both of my cabs have bullet holes, so there may be a double meaning to Jailbar! The 47 had bullet holes in the passenger door, while the 42 firetruck had a large caliber (50 cal?) hole from the inside out (accidental discharge?), as well as smaller caliber bullet holes at the top of the passenger A-pillar and back driver's side corner that were covered by bondo. If only the trucks could talk!

I’m trying to keep the build simple, with readily available parts. Plan is to make a mild touring truck. Engine choice not finalized.

I have widened the cab 5” at the front and about 6 ľ” at the rear (more at the rear to maintain the wedge shape and outside curvature of the doors) , and stretched the cab and doors 6 ˝”.

Widening will give it something of a chopped look, without being chopped and losing headroom that I need.

Widening also allows for use of a Crown Vic IFS without having to narrow the cross member to fit wheels inside the fenders. Custom frame nearing completion.

Here are pics of the cab. I will finish dinging on the sheetmetal after I get it mounted on the frame.

Last pic is of the widened grille with nose pulled out some, with a little help from photoshop.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Country Flag: United States
      This pretty cool. Reminds me of #GoJeep 's project. (I can't remember if he's on here, but I think so.) He's building an old Jeep pickup, but it's been modified to fit on a Grand Cherokee drivetrain.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      This pretty cool. Reminds me of #GoJeep 's project. (I can't remember if he's on here, but I think so.) He's building an old Jeep pickup, but it's been modified to fit on a Grand Cherokee drivetrain.

Jay
      I have followed Gojeep's build on Ozrodders. He has an incredible build that is getting close to paint. His skill and patience far exceed mine!

Thats a really cool build. Has a wide look from the front for sure. Awesome job so far

What are you using for drivetrain?

Very cool! How do you handle the windshield? Is there a company that will make a custom safety glass windshield?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Thats a really cool build. Has a wide look from the front for sure. Awesome job so far
      Thanks, Thumper. When finished, I hope it doesn't look too wide!

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      What are you using for drivetrain?
      Well ... a Toyota V8, specifically a 3UZ.

I don't have any brand loyalty! My only loyalty is the old hot rodding view of building with whatever part is good and inexpensive. Initially, I wanted to keep it all Ford, but the Coyote engine is the only one I am interested in, and they are too expensive for my bottom feeding habits. Also, the GM and Ford auto boxes are big and take up a lot of foot room (size 12) in a narrow cab.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Very cool! How do you handle the windshield? Is there a company that will make a custom safety glass windshield?
      Andrew, the windshield is 2 pieces of flat glass separated by a vertical bar. Flat glass can be cut by many auto glass shops, and the windshield rubber can be purchased by the foot.

Thanks for the compliment.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by charliebob View Post
      Andrew, the windshield is 2 pieces of flat glass separated by a vertical bar. Flat glass can be cut by many auto glass shops, and the windshield rubber can be purchased by the foot.

Thanks for the compliment.

Bob
      Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Progress was paused on sheetmetal bashing so that I could build a frame. To keep things simple with readily available parts, I used a Crown Vic front suspension and a 9" Ford rear with triangulated 4-link. I'm using coil overs on the rear, with overload air bags (not in pic) in case I want to haul heavy loads.

Front and rear frame stubs will be added later. The driveshaft hoop looks clunky, but made strong because this is where frame twisting forces are centered. An additional hoop will be added toward the front of the driveshaft.

Now I can mount the cab and get back to sheetmetal work.

Nice project, subscribed!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice project, subscribed!
      Thanks, Wayne. Very impressive Camaro project you have. I recently completed a 69 El Camino, but it is mundane compared to your Camaro.

Nice work. Chassis is very impressive.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

Jay
      That was my first thought as well! I’ve been following that build on All Metal Shaping.

Kudos!
      Stephen S.
      1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L, T5

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Nice work. Chassis is very impressive.

Don
      Thanks, Don. I enjoy building frames and suspensions much more that bashing sheetmetal!

I recently completed a 69 El Camino,
      You bring that up but don't put in a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      You bring that up but don't put in a link?
      Sorry, but I don't have a build thread. It's pretty basic. A stock 5.3 LS, C5 spindles and brakes. Rear Discs. Frame off, but stock except for suspension and powertrain.

Modified the dash somewhat by dropping the lower bead about 2" and making a transition to a console. Extending the dash down will allow it to hide a planned A/C unit and other stuff. I plan to have a bolt-in insert for the dash itself, which will allow me to make future changes in instrumentation as well as avoid having to try to get my old head under the dash for repairs and mods.

Instruments will likely be a permanently mounted tablet connected to OBD2. I'm trying to preserve the basic design of the truck and dash, but modernize it somewhat.

Sorry, but I don't have a build thread. It's pretty basic. A stock 5.3 LS, C5 spindles and brakes. Rear Discs. Frame off, but stock except for suspension and powertrain.
      That's a beautiful car.

Instruments will likely be a permanently mounted tablet connected to OBD2. I'm trying to preserve the basic design of the truck and dash, but modernize it somewhat.
      On the instruments, Lingenfelter makes an adapter at 289 bucks a pop that lets you use regular instruments with a GM CAN system. Thought I'd toss it out as an option for you in case the tablet idea doesn't work out. They're kind of pricey and requires one for every 4 instruments you want to use, but it should let you put an instrument for any of the 200+ parameters the computer sees provided you can get an instrument to display it. It'll also control relays for certain functions, like backup lights which seems to be an issue when using the 6/8/10 speed transmissions on older cars.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com