Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Accessory drive recommendations?

73 Camaro with a Speedtech ExtReme subframe. I'm probably going to go with the LS427/570. What accessory drive systems are you guys running? I'm thinking about one of those Holly mid-mount systems, but would like to hear about what everyone else is doing.

Some of the other ones I've being given as options are Drive Junky, Wegner, and Concept One.

I prefer holley accessory drives, they use many over the counter parts so that makes repairs easy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      I prefer holley accessory drives, they use many over the counter parts so that makes repairs easy ....
      What do you think of that whole plate system they use instead of normal brackets? Looks like a cool solution, but does it add a lot of weight and does it take up real estate?

I have the mid mount on my car. Great unit with tight packaging. I don’t think the weight is much different that the others. I think the alternator is great (big amps at idle when you need it) and the water pump is easier to change (C7 style cartridge). Assuming you are going with the Extreme and are going to track the car. I am considering changing the PS pump from the stock Holley type 2 to a Turn one unit. I am getting a seep from the pump shaft after about 2 years. Other than that it is an awesome setup!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Does the new 570 horse wet sump version of the LS7 still use the stock LS7 crank with the long snout? If so, you'll need the crank spacer from Scoggin Dickey to take up the extra length. No big deal. I have the Holley mid mount for my LS7 that is converted to a wet sump using LS3 components. It's not in the car yet, but have heard good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I have the mid mount on my car. Great unit with tight packaging. I don’t think the weight is much different that the others. I think the alternator is great (big amps at idle when you need it) and the water pump is easier to change (C7 style cartridge). Assuming you are going with the Extreme and are going to track the car. I am considering changing the PS pump from the stock Holley type 2 to a Turn one unit. I am getting a seep from the pump shaft after about 2 years. Other than that it is an awesome setup!
      Yeah, the car is going to be on a track. The PS pump on the Holly, you're finding it's not adequate?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Does the new 570 horse wet sump version of the LS7 still use the stock LS7 crank with the long snout? If so, you'll need the crank spacer from Scoggin Dickey to take up the extra length. No big deal. I have the Holley mid mount for my LS7 that is converted to a wet sump using LS3 components. It's not in the car yet, but have heard good things about it.
      I'm not sure, but I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll keep an eye out.

I am not saying it is inadequate but I think most guys upgrade their pumps for track duty. The Turn one stuff is great! I think my shaft seal is going bad from too much sitting.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

The Holley Mid-mount is an excellent choice.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I am not saying it is inadequate but I think most guys upgrade their pumps for track duty. The Turn one stuff is great! I think my shaft seal is going bad from too much sitting.
      Well the reason I ask is because Speedtech and Sweet do recommend a very high-end pump for steering. So I guess I'm just wondering if the stock Holly fairs well.

I would say in street application the Holley unit is great, if it is in a situation like yours then I would look at the Turn one unit (no matter what drive system you go with). I am getting ready to upgrade my suspension so I am looking at the Turn one unit also.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Personally I doubt the Holley mid mount has enough power steering pulley belt wrap for a car that will be tracked. Not even close, the belt just kisses the pulley.

Wegner has excellent wrap....

https://www.wegnerautomotive.com/dri...pack-ignition/

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      I'm just wondering if the stock Holly fairs well.
      not sure what holley "stock" is but the holley kit uses a 97 or newer corvette steering pump and inside that there are levels of pumps, I use the lightweight aluminum, 2.8 GPM High Flow, 1350 PSI unit that coupled with a steering cooler and power steering filter, one pump replacement in 8 years.. and I turn a lot or rubber

Name:  31530378_10216156100085676_832187314175213568_n.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  118.0 KB

I think I'll be upgrading the PS pump on any of these systems to a Turn One pump, so I'm not too concerned about what comes with any of the assembly drives.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

2nd the holley midmount

Still haven’t made a decision on this. A lot of the Speedtech guys are running the Drive Junky accessory drive and then upgrading the PS pump to the Turn One. I’m having a hard time seeing why it’s so much more than others. I’m hearing the components are nicer, but what do you guys think?

Country Flag: Australia
      I have about 700 miles on Drive Junky drive, 68 Camaro LS1. No problem at all. The belt wrap on power steering is the key reason I went with it. Speak with them, I believe pump is a Jones Racing unit.
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
      I have about 700 miles on Drive Junky drive, 68 Camaro LS1. No problem at all. The belt wrap on power steering is the key reason I went with it. Speak with them, I believe pump is a Jones Racing unit.
      Don mentioned above the belt wrap on the steering pump as well. Can you elaborate on what you guys are seeing here in terms of advantage and disadvantage? To my untrained eye, I can't tell the difference.

Edit: Ahh, I see what you guys are talking about now. You're talking about the length of belt on the circumference of the steering pump pulley. I'm guessing with stronger pumps, there's a danger of the belt not being able to turn the pulley if it isn't engaged enough?

With insufficient wrap on the pulley you can get belt slipping and squealing under load. If it slips you lose your power steering assist which is not good. Track driven cars need maximum belt wrap.

Systems where the belt just kisses the pulley are not suitable for track driven cars imho. Even the OEMs strive for good belt wrap.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’m running a Wegner front drive. Amazing customer service and product.

https://www.wegnerautomotive.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com