Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Ls2 questions

Country Flag: Canada

Ls2 questions

I have a 67 Chevelle with a 2006 Corvette 6.0 LS 2 /4l60e in it. I have to admit I’m somewhat LS illiterate so I have a couple questions. I’m planning upgrades to the cam so I assume programming will be in order? I was also wondering if anything will be need to be done upgrading to a high stall converter? Additionally what would be a good camshaft recommendation?

Country Flag: United States
      Stock or aftermarket ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      Stock or aftermarket ECU?
      Sorry stock ecu.

I wouldn't go crazy with a big cam. Others can chime in but something in the range 225I/2230E. Around .600 lift and a 114 C/L give you a bit of a chop at idle but should give you enough vacuum for power brakes. A quality stall converter will really wake up the off the line performance. I've used Yank and Circle billet converters with very good results. Right around 3000 stall.
      You will need new push rods and valve springs.
      Since you will need a tune for the cam I would get the stall converter installed and then do the tune. Let them do the base tune on the chassis dyno and then road test to revise the shift points on the trans as needed.
      Good luck with your project.

Cam choice is very subjective and catered to the car's use and driver preference. What is the application? Street cruiser, competitive track use or somewhere in between? What is the exhaust setup? This will play into exhaust lobe choice. Do you want a choppy idle or more mild manored? Do you want an rpm specific torque peak or more of a broad/flat torque curve?
      Converter choice is similarly dependent. I wouldn't select a converter with any more stall speed than the cam requires.
      If you don't want to get in the weeds with specing everything out, the recommendation in the post above is a good generalization and common in the LS community (assuming 230 on the exhaust duration).
      There are parameters in the tune that will need to be adjusted for the cam and converter(dependent on stall) so I would do them together unless your tuner does free re-tunes.

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Sorry yes I meant 230 degrees on the exhaust. As I understand the lobe C/L around 110 degrees will give you a choppy idle and more low end and a 114 C/L will give you less chop at idle, a bit more vacuum and a bit more power in the upper rpm range.

The Summit Ghost cam will work great in a LS2.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I personally would call Texas Speed and Performance out of Texas. Tell them your combination and those experts can set you up with a perfect cam for your combination. Plus they can mail order tune your ECM for it.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

The car is a weekend cruiser, no real track use. I’m running full length stainless 1 7/8 headers with a complete 3 inch mandrel bent stainless exhaust. I want something that makes good power, allows brake vacuum and sounds good.
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_KID View Post
      Cam choice is very subjective and catered to the car's use and driver preference. What is the application? Street cruiser, competitive track use or somewhere in between? What is the exhaust setup? This will play into exhaust lobe choice. Do you want a choppy idle or more mild manored? Do you want an rpm specific torque peak or more of a broad/flat torque curve?
      Converter choice is similarly dependent. I wouldn't select a converter with any more stall speed than the cam requires.
      If you don't want to get in the weeds with specing everything out, the recommendation in the post above is a good generalization and common in the LS community (assuming 230 on the exhaust duration).
      There are parameters in the tune that will need to be adjusted for the cam and converter(dependent on stall) so I would do them together unless your tuner does free re-tunes.
      - - - Updated - - -

That sounds like a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by GS455vert View Post
      The car is a weekend cruiser, no real track use. I’m running full length stainless 1 7/8 headers with a complete 3 inch mandrel bent stainless exhaust. I want something that makes good power, allows brake vacuum and sounds good.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds like a good idea
      I am telling you, Summit Ghost cam. There is no need to get fancy and pay more money than you have to. It also looks like it is on sale now:
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8715

There are also kits that include the cam, and related supporting parts, like springs. I would get one of those kits.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com