Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Salinas, CA. 4.5 MI from the Corkscrew @ Laguna Seca

What to expect from a shop doing your repairs.

I need to take my 68 Camaro to a shop to get some basic (tho not for me) work/fab done. Need crate engine (engine & tranny already in the car) start up, hydraulic clutch linkage finished and new ring & pinion. What should I expect from the shop? I don't want it to end up in "Shop Jail" for six months. Can you give them a date for the finished product, say 1 month? Do you pay half now and half when finished? I try to do what I can, but I'm getting too old for this stuff. I appreciate your feedback.

Country Flag: United States
      Call Vince at Mean Streets Performance in Gilroy. I guarantee you he will be honest with the price up front and he will be honest with how long he will have the car. And if he is too busy at the moment he will tell you that also.
      Greg

If you use a restro shop, they usually don't commit to a out the door price. Its usually always hourly. Paying a deposit is usually required, but not always and does depend on the shop. Wish I was closer, I could get your engine running and such for free.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Another vote for Vince.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      If you use a restro shop, they usually don't commit to a out the door price. Its usually always hourly. Paying a deposit is usually required, but not always and does depend on the shop. Wish I was closer, I could get your engine running and such for free.
      Thanks BadAzz, and thank you for your service. I'm not looking for freebies. As you know, there are a lot of little things. Things like: I have a new alum flywheel, so I need to have the starter aligned/shimmed correctly etc. Just a bunch of little things.

I would make a list of all the stuff you want done. Point by point. Then ask the shop to list budget costs and budget time it takes to get the items done. Make sure you have all the parts they need you have in hand. The choice is up to you if give them all the needed parts at once or give them to the shop as the work progresses. If you hang on to the parts and distribute as needed it gives you a good reason to check on progress.
      Also I would for a scheduled time to bring it in for the work. If it's one month out before they can get to it I would deliver it on that date and expect their undivided attension until the job is completed. None of "we will work on it as we find time".
      Money down? Tough call. I would offer some type progress payments. Again allows you document progress.

Quote Originally Posted by garickman View Post
      Call Vince at Mean Streets Performance in Gilroy. I guarantee you he will be honest with the price up front and he will be honest with how long he will have the car. And if he is too busy at the moment he will tell you that also.
      Thanks for the info. Vince sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't see a Mean Streets Performance located in Gilroy. I only find a Mean Streets Performance in San Carlos, about an hour + further away from Gilroy. Do you have a number for Gilroy?

Quote Originally Posted by TZmtrsprt View Post
      Thanks for the info. Vince sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't see a Mean Streets Performance located in Gilroy. I only find a Mean Streets Performance in San Carlos, about an hour + further away from Gilroy. Do you have a number for Gilroy?
      He used to be in San Carlos. I will PM you with his cell phone number.
      Greg

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com