Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

New 67 Camaro on the Forum...

I've owned my 67 Camaro since the mid 80's, bought it when I turned 16, paid $300 bucks for it and had to tow it home (was popping through the carb - busted rocker). It was a beat base coupe, a faded blend of Tahoe Turquoise, rust and generous amounts of misplaced bondo (someone's attempt at early rear flares). It had a straight 6, 2 speed powerglide on the tree, a 12 bolt rear-end with a deluxe interior including a fold down rear seat. Back in the day I dropped a rebuilt 327 small block into it with a mild cam, headers and 600 Holley. I kept the 2 speed (it worked after all) and I installed a B&M trans-pack and their floor shifter and changed the gearing in the 12 bolt to 411s. Brandy wine paint, new black interior capped off with a used set of Cragars and some cheap Tiger Paw tires on the front and even cheaper Fisk tires on the back and I was off to the races! Of note all paid for on a high school fast food wage ($3.00/hr). The joy that car brought and the friends that I have till this day = priceless!

You learned how to do things because you had to. You were careful with what you did because mistakes cost you and most importantly you learned how to be a creative problem solver. Skills/experience that have served me well.

Fast forward to today... The car has sat for the last 27 years (some years outside, some in). I've dragged it along with me over the years vowing to restore it again - some day. Happy to say that "that day" has finally come and I'm embarking on resto round 2, the New and Improved version, bigger/badder, etc. and I'm excited by the prospects. Finally have the heated workshop that was missing and I'm ready to spend this upcoming long Canadian winter moving things forward.

Shoring up the body first, I'm in the process of installing new full floor and trunk w/drop-offs, rockers, DSE mini-tubs, etc. (picked up my order this week). I'm looking at various options to upgrade my 67 Camaro suspension -- leaning toward a 4-link, like the Art Morrison Tri 4-Bar rear, the set up has new frame rails which appeals to me (original ones need to be replaced). As much as I would love to go with your full AME GT Sport Package, the cost combined with the Canadian dollar exchange is hard for me to justify for what is intended to be a "spirted" street cruiser. Undecided at this point. ridetech and DSE are part of the conversation (in my head). Hope to make a decision soon and get things ordered.

My plans/desires include:

- 550+ HP SBC (or maybe a LS, but too much old school in me perhaps)
      - Tremec 5 or 6 speed
      - Improved modern handling, steering & braking

Was resisting the 18" and 19" wheels (again too much old school in me), who new wheel and tire sized where so complicated but drive so many of the early planning decisions. Was playing with the notion of keeping to a 15" wheel with 325/50R15 or trying to strike a balance with a 17" 335/35R17 rear wheel/tires; with 255s ("+" or "-") upfront. My suspension desires, and associated spindle and brake realities are causing me to re-evaluate that bias (but it's a tuff one).

I'm getting caught up in the Youtube videos and need to regain some perspective aligned to my vision for the car and direct my funds where they will bring me the best bang for my street buck. No nostalgia here, modern muscle with a heavy dose of attitude, in a slick, refined and classy package.

Pic from back in the day - Fresh from paint before bottom trim molding installed.
      Name:  Kuhlhaus_67 Camaro_1.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  137.8 KB
      Pic from this time last year when I brought it to my new home (workshop in the background).
      Name:  Kuhlhaus_67 Camaro_2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  269.2 KB

Looking forward to getting to know some and sharing where I can.

Cheers!
      Ken

Country Flag: United States
      Lets see that thing torn apart! Looking forward to the progress. My girlfriend in high school had a 69 firebird in that wine color, brings me back!

Great project! Are you doing the trunk pan replacement and what not yourself? Ever done that type of work before?

I have a '67 I'm just finishing up replacing trunk pan, frame rails, drop offs, torque boxes, etc.

Hey John,
      Yep, doing full floor and full trunk, frame rails, etc. like you have just done - will check out your link for insight. Will be doing the work by my lonesome, never took this type of full panel restoration on before - but that’s never stopped me! LOL

Any tips or land mines to avoid? Insight always appreciated!

Thanks,
      Ken

Awesome, you should consider starting a build thread in the Projects forum to document your process. Looks like you have a great foundation to start with! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress, good luck!

Started a build thread in Project Updates...

Thanks for the will wishes... Started a build thread in Project Updates.

Check it out.

Thanks,
      Ken

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...se-Bay-Customs

Welcome! That sounds like a fun project for you!

welcome

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com