Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 Camaro Front wheel - center in wheel well?

Guys - question - looking to get new wheels and noticed that my front wheels are not "centered" in the front wheel well. Is this "normal" on first Gen Camaros? I always knew there was slight rubbing while turning - but thought it was due to incorrect back spacing.

You can see from attached where it is rubbing. With tire straight - probably have 1 3/4 from tire to front fender on left side and 3 1/4 from tire to fender on the right.

Do you think rubbing is due to incorrect tire size, incorrect back spacing, or wheel / tire not centered in wheel well? Wheel and tire is 225 / 55/ 16 - 4in BS with a Martz Chasis front subframe.

I believe the backspacing should probably be 4.5 to 4.75 on a 8in wheel - but if the frame is causing it - might look to replace.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Country Flag: United States
      is there a way to add caster to the frame set up, adding caster will move the wheel rearward and help center it... picture of the chassis setup (upper arms) might help some

What are your alignment specs?
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Either your subframe has shifted, and/or you have quite a bit negative caster. I'd check the subframe alignment first, and then verify the wheel alignment.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I have to pull the spec from the alignment shop that did it 20+ years ago. But the "non-centering" is on both sides (drivers and passenger).

Attached are pics of the control arm area. Please let me know your thoughts.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I’m going to guess that they aligned it to factory specs which will push the wheel forward.

Looks like your control arm bushings are breaking down.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Is that a Martz subframe? If it's been 20 years since alignment, has it always been shifted this way?

As mentioned above, it could be caused by a couple of things... Subframe installed too far forward or too little caster in the alignment. I'm betting it's a combination of a bit of both, I don't know if caster could cause that much difference unless it was REALLY far off.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Yes - noticed the same on the control arm bushings - thanks for pointing it out - add to the list.

Yes - Martz Chasis

Original alignment was 20 years ago - yes - and tire always rubbed. Last alignment was probably like 3 years ago - but same situation with rubbing.

Assumed that the 4 subframe to body mounting points and radiator core support lined up - so the location of control arms are / were correct.

Would a better Backspacing on the wheel help? Have 4in BS on 8in wheel now. Go to 4.5 or 4.75?

Quote Originally Posted by 68 SuperRam View Post
      Assumed that the 4 subframe to body mounting points and radiator core support lined up - so the location of control arms are / were correct.
      There's plenty of slop to have all the mount points appear to line up without actually being aligned. You need to measure.

Name:  measurements.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  58.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 68 SuperRam View Post
      Would a better Backspacing on the wheel help? Have 4in BS on 8in wheel now. Go to 4.5 or 4.75?
      It will help. But you still have some kind of a problem somewhere else.

Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

How does your sheet metal line up? If nothing fits properly, you have a bad subframe. I had the same problem.

My neighbor went through this a couple of years ago on his 68. We went over everything methodically until we finally began measuring the wheel well opening. Turns out the aftermarket front fenders each had the opening in different locations. If I recall correctly, the passenger side was close-3/4" back from a known OEM fender. The drivers side was way off. This was the one that rubbed and sat noticeably off. Just another thing to look into.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com