Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Working out center console shape

I roughed in a cutout for a console this afternoon and need to pick a direction. If I make it an actual, functional armrest and not what came in these cars, it will be about 2" taller than what's sitting in there. Thoughts?
      Also need to integrate the parking brake lever.

Name:  console1.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  310.7 KB

That looks awfully tall already. Put an EStopp in it and install the button in the console, you lose the lever and then you have a hidden anti-theft too.

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      That looks awfully tall already. Put an EStopp in it and install the button in the console, you lose the lever and then you have a hidden anti-theft too.
      X2....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I think part of what's making it look tall is what would be the armrest. It's probably 8" further forward than what it would actually be.

The EStopp is an option I've looked at. I'm just on the fence about "adding complexity" to the car. Agreed it is a clean solution if I can hide it somewhere.

Im gathering carpet will also add at least 1" to the current height also....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Im gathering carpet will also add at least 1" to the current height also....
      Taking that into account. Already cut it down somewhat over lunch.

As a separate issue, and I know this doesn't come up for everyone, I have so much room between the seats I can rest the rear part of the console flat on the floor and still see daylight in the gap between the seat. Right now the gap is about the same as what's at the door so there's some symmetry to it, I just don't know if changing that would look odd once you were sitting in the car.

Thanks for the input. Are the sides of your console parallel from end to end?

I prefer a functional armrest that also flips up for some light storage. I think what matters most is if your arm rest comfortably at that height while cruising, as well as not interfering with shifter work. I agree that it's set forward probly a good 8'' too far forward.

could you contour the e-handle over to the passenger side?

As far as the gap, contours and other features that help break up the long flat panels always look more custom to me, but they also are much harder to fab(especially symmetric). Below was my very first attempt at a prototype, didn't fiberglass very well, but the armrest height worked pretty good.

Name:  proto2_foamAssembled.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  213.8 KB

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Started on a second mock up with cardboard. Space is never a limiting factor on this car but I think I'm firmly against an electric e-brake. I just don't like introducing additional complexity for some things. Need to step it up a bit as the paint appointment is looming and I don't want to be welding after it's done. Means I have to pick a brake lever and fix attachment points.

couple of pics- estopp button in front bulkhead. My car is as simple as it gets...
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Getting closer to a basic shape on the 2nd effort plus I thought to look at shifter position. I may try to add a layer on the finished console that mimics the body lines, we'll see how that goes.
      Other trim inserts will be brushed stainless so the goal (I think) is to bend a sheet of brushed ss to shape as the top surface.

Where are people getting the piano hinge and lid catch for these?

Name:  console3.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  337.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Getting closer to a basic shape on the 2nd effort plus I thought to look at shifter position. I may try to add a layer on the finished console that mimics the body lines, we'll see how that goes.
      Other trim inserts will be brushed stainless so the goal (I think) is to bend a sheet of brushed ss to shape as the top surface.

Where are people getting the piano hinge and lid catch for these?

Name:  console3.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  337.3 KB

build it and sit it in feel where your leg hit is. feel where your arm is. it takes time... if you don't like a section cut it out and glass it in.

you can make changes. as you go. build a base that is low and mountable. then you can add a top section simular to how the factory did a 2 piece. sandable foam glued together makes quick changes easy. messy.... but easy. glass over it and you have a solid foundation.

I'm with you on electric ebrakes. I've had one on one car and it was terrible. A manual hand brake is much easier to use in an emergency.

Piano hinges are quite common, and can be found at any hardware store. The salvage yard will also have them, and more likely in the size you need. The OEMs riveted them into place so drill the rivets and there you have it.

There's no reason the console can't go wide at the seats if it looks strange being narrow. A wider console will give you more storage and will allow the passenger to share the armrest.

An important consideration, especially if you're tall - no sharp edges on the console where your knee would rest, and not too tall. Personally I like the console to go really low where my leg goes so there's no contact at all but if you like your leg on the console, a sharp edge gets sharper and sharper the longer you're leg is on it. Making it smooth and rounded through that area is best as it doesn't press in on your leg even if you adjust how your leg lays on it.

I'm at 9" wide now but the contouring I'm thinking about would take it closer to 10" at the armrest.

A little more ambitious on the shape of this which may affect material choice to build it. I added some contouring that mimics the body lines and will be about 9" -10" wide at the armrest. Hand brake should show up today so I can work out details of where it will be integrated. Feel like it's crunch time on this because I want the welding done before paint.
      All of the formerly woodgrain trim is redone in brushed stainless so I was planning the the flat surface to be the same thing with everything else upholstered to match the seats.
      Name:  console4.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  205.4 KB

Here's my console that I made for my Chevelle. It mimics the shape of the Acura tl console that I had in there previously. I reused the armrest and handbrake from the Acura. Name:  20200701_084730.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  140.6 KBName:  20200613_163528.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  144.3 KB

I would go to a wrecking yard and take a look at other cars for some ideas .

Getting close to committing to real building materials for this thing. I ordered a shifter and cupholders to make sure I'm happy with placement.

Been back and forth between what to use to build this thing out of. I've seen PVC foam board used and ordered a sample to see if the rigidity is ok since it's new for me. The other option is MDF, which seems really heavy to load in there? Probably cost me 5 hp to carry it around. Guess I'll plan that into the engine.

Name:  console5.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  247.3 KB

Maybe use MDF to build it, use what you build to make a mold, then use the mold to do it out of fiberglass? The MDF one can be modified to fit exactly with sandpaper, and once it's perfect you can recreate it in something lighter and better. If you plan to cover it, remember to knock the size down a bit to take the material used into account. You'll want carpet and padding in place as well, as that will add almost an inch of height to the floor. And, don't forget to take floor heating into account as the OEM just dumped a vent pointing in two directions where your console boxes up. A 1in x 6in vent down each side of the console would be pretty comfy in the winter.

I'm glad you started this thread, you're making me think of how I can solve the same problems when I get to the center console stage.

I know its probably been discussed/mentioned but I'm just starting my build and lurking around this forum. I was shocked at how well my Gen 5 console fits the first Gens. Here are some pics of mine. I am utilizing the glovebox but did cut it down a bit. Notice the Gen5 Gauge Clusters and steering column.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com