Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tremec TKX

Country Flag: United States

Tremec TKX

Has anyone seen this? Looks like a direct swap for a TKO600/500? Better synchro design & more compact. I'm interested...

Yup....TKO 500/600 rescinded....TKX the new design. I don't know what you mean "Looks like a direct swap"...its the same transmission with a better case and better synchros.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Looks great. The main reason I didn't opt for a manual trans in the Goat was that I'm not willing to cut the tunnel. Looks like it's on the table again...
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      ..."Looks like a direct swap".....
      Meaning that if you have a TKO already installed, the TKX will bolt right in.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nice, looks like they upgraded a few bits to be on par with the T56 Magnum internals like synchros, shift detent, etc.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I was just about to pull my 600 to do the carbon syncros, etc. Glad I waited, new plan is just swap in the TKX! We'll see how long it takes to get one and if there are any issues. Looks like they may just phase out the 500/600? The pricing is close

From information that I have gathered, since I make products for these swaps, is the reshaping of the transmission main case allows greatly improved tunnel clearance. In a very comprehensive video done by SST (if you haven't seen check it out), the LGT700 case is held up in comparison with the TKX and the TKX shares a similar profile as the LGT. Bottom line is no cutting for GM A-Body, Mopar E-Bodies, Mustangs. The question that I have with all the improved internals, why the need for double overdrive. Did Tremec just kill the sales of the T56 as the TKX has everything it has? Either way, Bowler, SST, American Powertrain, Modern Driveline and others are all going benefit from the renewed interest of swapping a 5-speed with no cutting. Nice job Tremec. I'm looking forward to doing the Mopar E-Body conversion again.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Meaning that if you have a TKO already installed, the TKX will bolt right in.

Andrew
      Yup, 4 speed bolt pattern and a video I watched said its the same length as the TKO. I don't think it would be worth the money to swap the TKO600 to the TKX.....Its the same transmission. A current TKO 600 owner would be better off to upgrade the trans. Re-sell on one isnt going to be great.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

...Its the same transmission. ....
      That is false.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That is false.

Andrew

Worth explaining yourself...

Its obvious it has a different case and upgrades made to it...but it said, "Gear set ratio is identical"... "Same overall length, mount location, shifter position as the TKO transmission"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDDYWDi7yY
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Worth explaining yourself...

Its obvious it has a different case and upgrades made to it...but it said, "Gear set ratio is identical"... "Same overall length, mount location, shifter position as the TKO transmission"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDDYWDi7yY
      You just said it...different case and different synchros. This, it's "not the same trans."
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I thought everyone upgraded the synchro's when they bought a TKO 600. I did.

Maybe the TKO will get cheap now.

If I needed a new trans, I'd consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I thought everyone upgraded the synchro's when they bought a TKO 600. I did.

Maybe the TKO will get cheap now.

If I needed a new trans, I's consider it.
      I suspect it just goes away.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

From what I understand, the TKO syncros are an older / different design. Even upgraded (what I was going to do) it's basically a band aid and won't shift at high rpm as the t56/ TKX. Also fits tighter & has gaskets now with different case

They basically make the TKO what it should have always been. Basically a lighter t56 with 5 gears instead of 6. An upgraded tko isn't the same as a TKX.

You just said it...different case and different synchros. This, it's "not the same trans."

You took that way too literally.....obviously its not the TKOs twin. That wasn't even the context of the info I put out there.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      From what I understand, the TKO syncros are an older / different design. Even upgraded (what I was going to do) it's basically a band aid and won't shift at high rpm as the t56/ TKX. Also fits tighter & has gaskets now with different case

They basically make the TKO what it should have always been. Basically a lighter t56 with 5 gears instead of 6. An upgraded tko isn't the same as a TKX.

Depends on what you want....I had the shift tabs and the blocker/synchros upgraded in my TKO 600 and I shifted it at 7000rpms. I'm not defending the TKO....just facts.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

You took that way too literally.....obviously its not the TKOs twin. That wasn't even the context of the info I put out there.
      Then don't call it "the same transmission" because it clearly is not. Precision of language is important. Otherwise any word can mean anything else. So carry on.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Started this as a new thread on the TKX & thanks for the input. Not looking to compare the two or start a TKO vs TKX fight lol. Looking for fresh input, pros and cons of this seemingly new (or totally redesigned) transmission.

It seems like it fixes all the cons of the TKO, while still being light & even more compact. The different syncro design is the selling point for me, and the smaller case is just a bonus.

Then don't call it "the same transmission" because it clearly is not. Precision of language is important. Otherwise any word can mean anything else. So carry on.

Andrew

Lol.....are you the media now? Read the entire post and not cherry pick words. I agree.....I could have been a little more clear.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      Started this as a new thread on the TKX & thanks for the input. Not looking to compare the two or start a TKO vs TKX fight lol. Looking for fresh input, pros and cons of this seemingly new (or totally redesigned) transmission.

It seems like it fixes all the cons of the TKO, while still being light & even more compact. The different syncro design is the selling point for me, and the smaller case is just a bonus.
      We feel like it's going to be a huge improvement over the TKO in regards to performance. As someone else mentioned earlier, I do suspect it will cut into the Magnum sales with it's lower weight and improved internals to better handle the high RPM engines/shifting. I personally feel that it still won't beat the Magnum in overall performance, but for most guys it will definitely fit the bill for what you would want/need. If anyone would like any additional information or specs just let me know and I can send it over. [email protected]
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com