Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tremec TKX

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Tremec TKX

Has anyone seen this? Looks like a direct swap for a TKO600/500? Better synchro design & more compact. I'm interested...

Yup....TKO 500/600 rescinded....TKX the new design. I don't know what you mean "Looks like a direct swap"...its the same transmission with a better case and better synchros.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      ..."Looks like a direct swap".....
      Meaning that if you have a TKO already installed, the TKX will bolt right in.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Meaning that if you have a TKO already installed, the TKX will bolt right in.

Andrew
      Yup, 4 speed bolt pattern and a video I watched said its the same length as the TKO. I don't think it would be worth the money to swap the TKO600 to the TKX.....Its the same transmission. A current TKO 600 owner would be better off to upgrade the trans. Re-sell on one isnt going to be great.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

...Its the same transmission. ....
      That is false.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      That is false.

Andrew

Worth explaining yourself...

Its obvious it has a different case and upgrades made to it...but it said, "Gear set ratio is identical"... "Same overall length, mount location, shifter position as the TKO transmission"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDDYWDi7yY
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Looks great. The main reason I didn't opt for a manual trans in the Goat was that I'm not willing to cut the tunnel. Looks like it's on the table again...
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Nice, looks like they upgraded a few bits to be on par with the T56 Magnum internals like synchros, shift detent, etc.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I was just about to pull my 600 to do the carbon syncros, etc. Glad I waited, new plan is just swap in the TKX! We'll see how long it takes to get one and if there are any issues. Looks like they may just phase out the 500/600? The pricing is close

From information that I have gathered, since I make products for these swaps, is the reshaping of the transmission main case allows greatly improved tunnel clearance. In a very comprehensive video done by SST (if you haven't seen check it out), the LGT700 case is held up in comparison with the TKX and the TKX shares a similar profile as the LGT. Bottom line is no cutting for GM A-Body, Mopar E-Bodies, Mustangs. The question that I have with all the improved internals, why the need for double overdrive. Did Tremec just kill the sales of the T56 as the TKX has everything it has? Either way, Bowler, SST, American Powertrain, Modern Driveline and others are all going benefit from the renewed interest of swapping a 5-speed with no cutting. Nice job Tremec. I'm looking forward to doing the Mopar E-Body conversion again.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

I thought everyone upgraded the synchro's when they bought a TKO 600. I did.

Maybe the TKO will get cheap now.

If I needed a new trans, I'd consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I thought everyone upgraded the synchro's when they bought a TKO 600. I did.

Maybe the TKO will get cheap now.

If I needed a new trans, I's consider it.
      I suspect it just goes away.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

From what I understand, the TKO syncros are an older / different design. Even upgraded (what I was going to do) it's basically a band aid and won't shift at high rpm as the t56/ TKX. Also fits tighter & has gaskets now with different case

They basically make the TKO what it should have always been. Basically a lighter t56 with 5 gears instead of 6. An upgraded tko isn't the same as a TKX.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      From what I understand, the TKO syncros are an older / different design. Even upgraded (what I was going to do) it's basically a band aid and won't shift at high rpm as the t56/ TKX. Also fits tighter & has gaskets now with different case

They basically make the TKO what it should have always been. Basically a lighter t56 with 5 gears instead of 6. An upgraded tko isn't the same as a TKX.

Depends on what you want....I had the shift tabs and the blocker/synchros upgraded in my TKO 600 and I shifted it at 7000rpms. I'm not defending the TKO....just facts.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Ok I have inside info from 2 individuals sent preproduction units for testing. I am a current TKO600 owner for reference. I have hated shifting my TKO from almost the beginning. Any shift over 5000 rpm is TERRIBLE and it is just clunky feeling at any RPM. I was spoiled having driven many cars running various versions of the T56 and regretted not going that route with my project.

What I was told is that the TKO design is in the same family as the old top loaders. So no matter what you upgrade, it is still going to have clear limitations. The TKX brings in the significantly more modern internals of the Magnum trio. Larger gear sets, cone synchros, better shift forks, etc. These are NOT the same in any way aside from the ability to bolt-in the TKX where a TKO was before.

Of these two individuals, one has driven with the trans. He said the shifting at any RPM is night and day improved from the TKO twins and shifting above 6000rpm isn't even a fair comparison because the TKX blows the TKO away.

So as a TKO owner, I was looking at faceplated gearsets to try and somehow improve this thing when racing, but the price of the TKX makes that really not worth it in my case. I'll be eventually selling my TKO to swap to the TKX. The TKO is still great for a hot rod, but if you are road racing like I am....no way. Tremec intends to just phase out the TKO twins and the TKX will fill that "void" moving forward.

I do not believe the T56 is at risk of being replaced. It still very much serves a purpose to have 6 gears and the larger power rating. The TKX simply gives a long overdue 5 gear option that will work with modern demands in tight spaces. Tremec will continue to dominate the manual swap realm for a long time to come by making this move. I applaud them.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Larger gear sets, cone synchros, better shift forks, etc. These are NOT the same in any way aside from the ability to bolt-in the TKX where a TKO was before.

Tremec intends to just phase out the TKO twins and the TKX will fill that "void" moving forward.

Where did you get the info that the gear set is bigger? The video released from
      Bowler Transmission says other than 3rd gear the gear sets are identical???

I don’t think anyone assumes Tremec would still produce the TKO. It’s a generation change...the 3550 is gone..the TKO II is gone, it makes sense for the TKO to go as well.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Where did you get the info that the gear set is bigger? The video released from
      Bowler Transmission says other than 3rd gear the gear sets are identical???

I don’t think anyone assumes Tremec would still produce the TKO. It’s a generation change...the 3550 is gone..the TKO II is gone, it makes sense for the TKO to go as well.

Third gear size comparison is in this video. At about 1:29.

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Third gear size comparison is in this video. At about 1:29.

Yes...Just 3rd gear. Which is also an upgrade you can do to your TKO....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I ordered mine too.

You can't "upgrade" a TKO to become a TKX.

This thread was started to concentrate on any info that anyone has about the TKX. I think it's very clear that a TKO is not a TKX. Some similarities? Sure, but not the same.

Great post, Shaun!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com