Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tremec TKX

Country Flag: United States
      Ok I have inside info from 2 individuals sent preproduction units for testing. I am a current TKO600 owner for reference. I have hated shifting my TKO from almost the beginning. Any shift over 5000 rpm is TERRIBLE and it is just clunky feeling at any RPM. I was spoiled having driven many cars running various versions of the T56 and regretted not going that route with my project.

What I was told is that the TKO design is in the same family as the old top loaders. So no matter what you upgrade, it is still going to have clear limitations. The TKX brings in the significantly more modern internals of the Magnum trio. Larger gear sets, cone synchros, better shift forks, etc. These are NOT the same in any way aside from the ability to bolt-in the TKX where a TKO was before.

Of these two individuals, one has driven with the trans. He said the shifting at any RPM is night and day improved from the TKO twins and shifting above 6000rpm isn't even a fair comparison because the TKX blows the TKO away.

So as a TKO owner, I was looking at faceplated gearsets to try and somehow improve this thing when racing, but the price of the TKX makes that really not worth it in my case. I'll be eventually selling my TKO to swap to the TKX. The TKO is still great for a hot rod, but if you are road racing like I am....no way. Tremec intends to just phase out the TKO twins and the TKX will fill that "void" moving forward.

I do not believe the T56 is at risk of being replaced. It still very much serves a purpose to have 6 gears and the larger power rating. The TKX simply gives a long overdue 5 gear option that will work with modern demands in tight spaces. Tremec will continue to dominate the manual swap realm for a long time to come by making this move. I applaud them.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Great post, Shaun!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If it fits an A body with no cutting and shifts like a T56, I’ll put one in my ‘67 GTO for sure.

This will be a good option whenever my Keisler RS-600 bites the dust...

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Country Flag: Canada
      I want to put one behind 1000rwhp and see if it lives, seriously interested.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      I want to put one behind 1000rwhp and see if it lives, seriously interested.
      Depends on how much traction you get...lol
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Anybody know if a shifter from a TKO 600 will fit it. I have a nice Mcleod shifter in my 70 Camaro that sits perfectly in my console. Would be nice to keep it. I saw this trans, and I am really thinking about it, even with my trans upgraded by Rockland Standard Gear it still isn't that great. I am planing to raise my trans up to get some of the driveline angles better, I won't cut the tunnel, interior and everything is done so this is a good even though expensive option. Hopefully we can get some good info on how much smaller the top of the case is.

Hoping to get another .5 or more deg out of this too with the driveline with the smaller case. Not sure about the shifter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Larger gear sets, cone synchros, better shift forks, etc. These are NOT the same in any way aside from the ability to bolt-in the TKX where a TKO was before.

Tremec intends to just phase out the TKO twins and the TKX will fill that "void" moving forward.

Where did you get the info that the gear set is bigger? The video released from
      Bowler Transmission says other than 3rd gear the gear sets are identical???

I don’t think anyone assumes Tremec would still produce the TKO. It’s a generation change...the 3550 is gone..the TKO II is gone, it makes sense for the TKO to go as well.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I just ordered tkx close ratio for my 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe. They are taking orders, 2 months out.
      Rob
      87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe under the knife
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...8-87-aerocoupe

I just ordered tkx close ratio for my 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe. They are taking orders, 2 months out.
      Last edited by aeroocoupe; 11-19-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Posted 2 times
      Rob
      87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe under the knife
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...8-87-aerocoupe

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Where did you get the info that the gear set is bigger? The video released from
      Bowler Transmission says other than 3rd gear the gear sets are identical???

I don’t think anyone assumes Tremec would still produce the TKO. It’s a generation change...the 3550 is gone..the TKO II is gone, it makes sense for the TKO to go as well.

Third gear size comparison is in this video. At about 1:29.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDDYWDi7yY

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Third gear size comparison is in this video. At about 1:29.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDDYWDi7yY

Yes...Just 3rd gear. Which is also an upgrade you can do to your TKO....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I ordered mine too.

You can't "upgrade" a TKO to become a TKX.

This thread was started to concentrate on any info that anyone has about the TKX. I think it's very clear that a TKO is not a TKX. Some similarities? Sure, but not the same.

I don’t believe there is even one part that is shared between them and badassz28 is saying they’re the same trans. Lol
      I have one of the first tko600s- when i ordered it they weren’t shipping yet, just like the tkx now. I’ve heard they made some engineering changes fairly early that mine doesn’t have. Mine is notchy as hell, 3rd has some whine, it seeps from somewhere, and it won’t let me shift over 5500 or so. I had to perform a craniotomy on my 1969 Mustang tunnel to get it to fit. Other than that it’s fine.
      All kidding aside it’s lived behind 500ft lbs for 15 years and numerous roadrace and 1/4 mile track days so it’s hard to complain about it’s durability, but from day one it was never snick snick.
      I’m hoping I can use my same bell and aluminum driveshaft. Can anyone confirm?

From what I've heard from Tremec and others it's a direct swap.

Here is more technical info on the new TKX.
      Name:  TKX.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  699.8 KB
      Name:  TKX2.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  71.2 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      From what I've heard from Tremec and others it's a direct swap.
      That is true, we did the swap here in house from a TKO to our test TKX, no other changes needed.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      If it fits an A body with no cutting and shifts like a T56, I’ll put one in my ‘67 GTO for sure.
      Mine is an auto, for the longest time I was going to go 2004R. But the mod to the floor was supposed to be minimal for the TKO, so I had been leaning that way. Got a quote a while back. This seals it for me, though. Trying to figure out which vendor to use right now.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

So I am now really considering this..... The fact that I do not have to cut my floor..... plus one other thing I should have realized.... but did not until today......

My GTO has 3.36 rear gears..... and I always felt the .68 overdrive was too much for my gearing and I would have to swap in taller gears to keep from lugging engine around town or even slower highway speeds and the .82 was just not enough to warrant the money for the swap.....

Stupid me..... The version of the TKO/TKX with the 3.27 first gear and the .72 overdrive is like perfectly geared for cars like mine..... More fun around town and overdrive that works with my rear gearing.....

Am I wrong?
      Troy
      67GTO

Troy,

You're not wrong.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com