Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Sweden

12 bolt on Firebird 67 Help

Hi. I will renovate my rear axle and have some questions about this. It's a 12 bolt from a first gen camaro or a Firebird. the condition is unknown but when I still have to renovate the whole car, it is just as good to do the rear axle as well. Which axles should i choose and is there a big difference between them. there are some axels that are much better than others and which ones should not be bought. Is it better to buy ready-made packages or should i pick own parts. Whether i buy Strange or Yukon does not matter. I need everything in the rear axle. I want to have 3.73 gear. What do you think

Attached Images Attached Images  

Both companies has a good reputations .I use 30 spline axles in my 1979 Z-28 RS 8.5 10 bolt .along with a Moroso "Brute Strength" posi .Behind a 500 HP plus small block/Super T-10 4 speed with thousands and no issues,Name:  130044932860518017.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  217.9 KB

Thanks Zspoiler I hope for about 600 hp. I look at Strange shafts and bearings. Then I know it works

Its better to overbuilt a car than build it just "good enough" .Because its usually its a "pay me now and or pay me me later" type ting.I also had a friend while in the Marine Corps in the late 1970 `s .Who had a 1969 Trans Am (Yes a real one). who blew up the original 400 engine and 12 bolt rear end .And replaced it with and overboard (408) 402 cubic big block and a Dana 60 out of a 1960 Road Runner It was up there in horsepower .and quite surprising I had another friend who bought the car and restored it to stock. And moved back to the midwest the last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
      Hi. I will renovate my rear axle and have some questions about this. It's a 12 bolt from a first gen camaro or a Firebird. the condition is unknown but when I still have to renovate the whole car, it is just as good to do the rear axle as well. Which axles should i choose and is there a big difference between them. there are some axels that are much better than others and which ones should not be bought. Is it better to buy ready-made packages or should i pick own parts. Whether i buy Strange or Yukon does not matter. I need everything in the rear axle. I want to have 3.73 gear. What do you think
      Fenix,
      Is that the picture of the rear axle you plan on rebuilding? If so that isn't from a first gen Camaro. Rear axle rebuilds really depends on your mechanical abilities to properly set up a gear set. You can easily purchase all the parts where most people get hung up is setting up the gears and having the tools available to properly setup the tooth pattern. A lot of times if someone doesn't already have the 12 bolt its probably cheaper in the long run to purchase a ready made package for just a few dollars more. Good luck in which ever you decide.

BB

Bad Bowtie. This is the rear axle I will renovate. It is from an Early Camaro that they have welded on other mounts. I have measured the axels and checked the posin and it is the right rear axle. I can also see the old tracks from the mounts to the leaf springs. Thank you for looking at the pictures and trying to help me. I have been thinking about buying a new rear axle but it will be too expensive when I have to do everything else as well
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com