Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Japan

lsa Blower on LS1

Is it possible to put the lsa supercharger on ls1? Please tell me the parts. Is it necessary to change the computer?
      Name:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 4178
Size:  412.0 KB

Country Flag: United States
      You will need adaptor plates.

https://lsxinnovations.com/product/l...dapter-plates/

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You should be fine with any LS computer.

In regards to parts, there is a long list of them.

You can do the adapter plates like mentioned, or GM makes a small bore cylinder head with the rectangle style port.
      https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19201807.html

For your pulleys, look up LSX Innovations. They have various LSA pulley kits at a decent cost.
      https://lsxinnovations.com/

Country Flag: Japan
      Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      You should be fine with any LS computer.

In regards to parts, there is a long list of them.

You can do the adapter plates like mentioned, or GM makes a small bore cylinder head with the rectangle style port.
      https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19201807.html

For your pulleys, look up LSX Innovations. They have various LSA pulley kits at a decent cost.
      https://lsxinnovations.com/
      How much horsepower is the power-up when the blower is installed?

I’m curious, how does compression ratio come into play with the LSA supercharger...for instance, if the engine wasn’t originally built for boost so it has a higher compression ratio? I know the factory LSA’s had a lower CR then, say the LS3’s, etc. didn’t know if you could dial the boost back in such a case or if a piston swap was required for longevity.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
      How much horsepower is the power-up when the blower is installed?

As with any engine, this is all depending on airflow. A lot of people talk about how much “boost” a given turbo or supercharger is set up for. I think of boost in terms of back pressure. If you have crappy flowing heads, you need more “boost” to make a certain amount of power. Higher flowing heads will have less back pressure (boost).

With that out of the way, this all depends on how you set it up. There are numerous ways and people have made over 1,000hp with those LSA blowers. Underdrive pulleys will make the blower spin faster, the blower can be ported, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      I’m curious, how does compression ratio come into play with the LSA supercharger...for instance, if the engine wasn’t originally built for boost so it has a higher compression ratio? I know the factory LSA’s had a lower CR then, say the LS3’s, etc. didn’t know if you could dial the boost back in such a case or if a piston swap was required for longevity.
      I wouldn’t be concerned by this as much. The main limitation is fuel capability with a given cylinder compression....whether it’s achieved by “boost” or a “high compression” rotating assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Would likely have to dial back the timing a little more to safely run the higher compression running pump gas (unless you switch to E85 or run methanol injection) with the same boost levels.

Heat management is also important. Improving the intercooling or adding a second cooler helps. Another thing is ring gap. Higher temps causes the rings to thermally expand and when they butt together it causes a lot of damage. In the case of the LSA or LS9 they manage tighter ring gaps (for emissions reasons) by having piston squirters. But without them you should considering opening top two rings, especially if going above single digit psi boost levels. Some get away with more, but typically they're running high mileage engines where the ring gap has increased due to wear; and/or they're not afraid to blow things up because they'll snag another cheap 5.3l from the pick-n-pull and slap it in if they do.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      I wouldn’t be concerned by this as much. The main limitation is fuel capability with a given cylinder compression....whether it’s achieved by “boost” or a “high compression” rotating assembly.
      Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Would likely have to dial back the timing a little more to safely run the higher compression running pump gas (unless you switch to E85 or run methanol injection) with the same boost levels.

Heat management is also important. Improving the intercooling or adding a second cooler helps. Another thing is ring gap. Higher temps causes the rings to thermally expand and when they butt together it causes a lot of damage. In the case of the LSA or LS9 they manage tighter ring gaps (for emissions reasons) by having piston squirters. But without them you should considering opening top two rings, especially if going above single digit psi boost levels. Some get away with more, but typically they're running high mileage engines where the ring gap has increased due to wear; and/or they're not afraid to blow things up because they'll snag another cheap 5.3l from the pick-n-pull and slap it in if they do.
      All good information...Thank you!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

I have an SBE LS2, but I also have a LS3 heads, BTR Stg 4 PDS cam,1000cc injectors and a 2.40 overdrive pulley for my blower. I haven't dyno'd my car yet, but have seen similar combos(cam, pulley, engine) are 630+ rwhp. You will also need upgraded injectors and in most case a fuel pump. As stated, cooling is a must so a biggest heat exchanger you can fit is a big benefit.
      Small bore rectangle port heads would help with flow, but by the time you buy those I'd just get a Maggie.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com