Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Aftermarket Upper Control Arm Question

I just purchased a rust-free 1967 RS/SS 350 4 Speed Camaro from the original owners. Plan is to rebuild as a driver for my wife to replace her 1967 Corvette that burnt up in a garage fire in July 2020.

Given the original condition of the car mods will be kept to a minimum with any mod being directed to make the car more driveable and enjoyable. As such the short mod list includes Vintage Heat/AC, Holley Snyper on top the original engine and basic suspension.

Suspension mods will be limited to new bushings, sway bar, springs and potentially upper control arms.

I know the stock front Camaro sub-frame is full of suspension compromises which ultimately leads to my question:

Without changing the factory lower control arm since it's just along for the ride which QUALITY aftermarket upper control arm provides the BEST upgrade in upper ball joint location for more caster and a better street driving experience with the stock disc brake/ spindle and stock sub-frame?
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I tend to agree with F-body. Not sure I’d change just the upper arm in your case. But, I would replace the upper ball joints with the taller ones. I went with the .5” taller one but they make .9” as well. It helps to correct the camber gain issues that the 1st gen has. So does the Gulstrand mod, but but I bet your ball joints need replacing anyway. It also helps to use a taller outer tie rod end with these as well to reduce bump steer but I have not installed my yet and it seems fine.

I think David Pozzi posts here but go check out his website, pozziracing.com for a bunch of really great info on improving the handling of these cars.

Thanks for the responses.

Decided today the aftermarket upper arm idea is out. Little gain if any for the money.

Looking at the tall ball joint, specific spring and tie rod as mentioned above.
      Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Shafts are good, car is NICE rust-free car parked since 1983.

Going the bushing/ball joint/tall tie rod upgrade with possible Guldstrand Mod IF appropriate leads me to this question:

What about the differences if any in bushing longevity in a totally street driven 1967 Camaro between the nylon material used in the AFCO bushing, the Del-A Lum material used in the Global West bushing and the Delrin material used in the ridetech bushing?
      Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

Country Flag: United States
      if your not racing and the car is a well built car to start.... absolutely reuse the stock arms... that's a great candidate car for the ridetech street grip, that kit has tall upper ball joints delrin control arm bushings, a great sway bar, hyperco springs front and rear and lifetime warranty shocks!!! and if you are on a budget you can get the kit pcs a little at a time as you build.... I will work on pricing with you, most parts are in stock at SuspensionGeek.com and advice is always free, I'm not just sales guy I worked for ridetech and was a driver for them for years our part development and test was second to none, I still use there gear and install a lot of it here at the shop

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      Shafts are good, car is NICE rust-free car parked since 1983.

Going the bushing/ball joint/tall tie rod upgrade with possible Guldstrand Mod IF appropriate leads me to this question:

What about the differences if any in bushing longevity in a totally street driven 1967 Camaro between the nylon material used in the AFCO bushing, the Del-A Lum material used in the Global West bushing and the Delrin material used in the ridetech bushing?
      Using both the taller upper ball joint and the Gulstrand mod together is recommended for "serious autocrossing" as David Pozzi puts it. For just a street car, I would just go the the ball joints. The Gulstrand mod can't be undone easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1968 View Post
      Using both the taller upper ball joint and the Gulstrand mod together is recommended for "serious autocrossing" as David Pozzi puts it. For just a street car, I would just go the the ball joints. The Gulstrand mod can't be undone easily.
      disagree, a stock spindle is very short and using a 1/2 taller ball joint won't fix the lack of camber gain, it in fact only stops it from going positive... adding the guldstrand mod... not only helps camber gain, it gives the car caster, and from factory the camaro only has .5 to 1 degree of caster... that it.. and that is at factory ride height. that's the number straight from the factory assembly manual .. and finally because you move the upper arm back that rotates the steering arm down and reduces bump steer by more than HALF!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      disagree, a stock spindle is very short and using a 1/2 taller ball joint won't fix the lack of camber gain, it in fact only stops it from going positive... adding the guldstrand mod... not only helps camber gain, it gives the car caster, and from factory the camaro only has .5 to 1 degree of caster... that it.. and that is at factory ride height. that's the number straight from the factory assembly manual .. and finally because you move the upper arm back that rotates the steering arm down and reduces bump steer by more than HALF!
      Not my words, they are David Pozzi’s and I think he’s considered a fairly knowledgeable guy witht fist gens. I didn’t say it was a bad idea, but I take his words to mean its a bit more aggressive. For a pure street car, maybe that’s not needed. You can read what he says here: http://pozziracing.com/first_gen_sus...0upper%20mount

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1968 View Post
      Not my words, they are David Pozzi’s and I think he’s considered a fairly knowledgeable guy witht fist gens. I didn’t say it was a bad idea, but I take his words to mean its a bit more aggressive. For a pure street car, maybe that’s not needed. You can read what he says here: http://pozziracing.com/first_gen_sus...0upper%20mount
      thank you... yep David is a smarty pants.....I didn't feel I needed to quantify who i am and my advice....

David and I have been friends for years, and have raced with and against each other for a very, very did i say very, long time....
      Here i took a shot of all of us many many years ago in David and Mary's shop, with Bret Vokel (ridetechs owner) Larry Callahan (owner of this very forum) along with Mary Pozzi (fastest lady I know), David Pozzi and James Shipka (owner of one lap camaro), as we talk about the new Morrison IRS rear that David and I just drove to pleasanton california to pick up from Craig Morrison for his 68 camaro, this is how we spent our evenings

Name:  20140306_200754.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  235.7 KB

and here is my camaro next to Mark Steilows one lap car the Tri Tip in Davids back yard circa 2007 or 8

Name:  picture-5.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  279.8 KB

Having just purchased some Global West parts to go with the ridetech parts I bought for my car. (RT doesn't make some of the braces that I wanted to include) I have to say that GW has nowhere near the quality of parts like RT. ridetech parts popped right on. GW were misaligned, overwelded,etc. That's without bringing up the subject of the hardware each includes.
      Tracey

What ever you do get a Lee 14:1 800 Series box with a 30 pound valve. I wish I would of had one of these back when I was trying to get my 64 Pontiac to go down the road straight and have that confident feeling. The 64 Pontiac has the same suspension as your car.. Rear steer but nice big control arms.. The issue is those suspensions are under pressure since the drag link is in the back. The front steer (GM A Body) seem better to me but there not as responsive as the rear steer..

Too bad she didn't want the 80s or 90s Camaro or for that matter the 70 up, they have excellent suspensions.. That 70-73 Camaro/Firebird is my all time favorite..

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Having just purchased some Global West parts to go with the ridetech parts I bought for my car. (RT doesn't make some of the braces that I wanted to include) I have to say that GW has nowhere near the quality of parts like RT. ridetech parts popped right on. GW were misaligned, overwelded,etc. That's without bringing up the subject of the hardware each includes.
      true

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com