Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone familiar with factory welds on frames?

67 GTO. Unbeknownst to me when I bought it way back in 1989, the frame was bent. Actually only recently discovered this when I was trying to fit big meaty tires on the front, and realized why I never could get my bumper to align. Anyway, the front passenger side framerail got pushed out a little when the car was wrecked before I bought it. As I'm installing a Hellwig FX frame reinforcement kit, I was looking at the (ugly) factory welds. Then I saw this. This is where the crossmember meets the frame. Anyone here have a feel for if this might be a shoddy repair, or if the factory weld may be that ugly? There are some ugly sections on it, but none as ugly as this.
      Name:  20201026_120349.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  190.2 KB

For comparison, here is the other side, and then the second "ugliest" weld on the crossmember. Other side looks relatively clean, the next one isn't nearly as ugly. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to grind this down and re-weld it while I'm doing all this frame welding before I take it to be straightened.

Name:  20201026_120417.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  321.2 KBName:  20201026_120405.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  246.9 KB

No idea if this is the right sub-forum. Would have looked for chassis, but I'm inclined to guess folks here probably have seen more than some of the other options. But if I should repost in Suspension or Paint and Body, let me know. Thanks for any feedback.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

Factory welds on my Firebird.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place.
      69 GTO
      72 FIREBIRD
      64 BONNEVILLE FUNERAL COACH
      70 JAVELIN
      52 F1 FORD PU
      29 FORD PU
      85 ALFA ROMEO
      ASSORTED DUCATI'S
      91 BLAZER LOWRIDER

You know... I've never looked at mine. Now I'm glad I didn't.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Country Flag: Canada
      if you have the tools ,ability, and the drive ...go over the whole frame use any factory frame diamension sheet you can find online for reference and call it a day
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      if you have the tools ,ability, and the drive ...go over the whole frame use any factory frame diamension sheet you can find online for reference and call it a day
      I've got the tools - I'm halfway through boxing the frame with the Hellwig FX kit. I had thought about redoing the ones that will be seen, which includes this one. If it were a crappy hack job, I'd do it before I take it to the frame shop (they want suspension on it, and I'll have to remove it to pretty up this joint). But if it is factory, I should be abe to just grind off the ugly, and run a bead on top of it after I have it straightened and before I EP it, or have it powder coated (not sure which, yet). Not sure if I will or not, I might just clean up teh splatter. But based on the picture of the Firebird above, I'm inclined to guess this is factory ugliness.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

I don't think those Welds are Factory

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com