Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Aeromotive Fuel 340 Dual Phantom Fuel Pump and a Hobbes Switch

So simply put , which is worse for the fuel pump's . Running continuously or cycling on and off.

I am going to be installing the 340 dual phantom Fuel pumps from aeromotive and I am want to know which is a better solution.

The car is a 68 camaro twin turbo, and the engine backs gets pretty darn hot (add trackspec vents to it when i get home)

But I need lots of fuel, so I can run one pump continuously and the second, have it referenced via boost and a hobbes switch. I have hear pro's and cons on each> Now I heard cycling on and off can be bad for a fuel pump and this car is more of a daily driver. So would it be better having the second pump on the hobbes switch or better having it continuously running.

I am looking for efficiency but I dont want to be cycling super heated fuel back in the gas tank but at the same time pump life is very important to me!

Thanks for any advice
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

A single 340lph pump will support over 650rwhp on gasoline.

You do not need the second pump to come on unnecessarily early.
      I'm not sure of your power level, but I routinely bring on the second pump at 4psi boost.
      You can go to a higher boost switch if the the power level is not demanding the second pump until a higher range.

Running 2 pumps will likely overheat the fuel after longer drive times or in hot climates.
      I NEVER run dual pumps continuously.

Turning it off & on will not hurt it, but cavitating the pump due to overheated fuel will destroy it.

I'm running a fuel cooler on the return line- as I don't like the idea of heating up the fuel and sending back to the tank.

Just sayin-

I had the stealth phantom and while my project stalled for 2 years-

I went to drain my tank- the "aerospace" foam had dissolved. It was just regular premium pump gas.

The guys at Aeromotive did admit that they had seen it happen- but wanted to charge me for new foam...no way would I putting that back in my tank- went with a Holley Hydramat

Name:  DSCN7294.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  DSCN7297.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  299.2 KB

Name:  DSCN7300.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  233.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      A single 340lph pump will support over 650rwhp on gasoline.

You do not need the second pump to come on unnecessarily early.
      I'm not sure of your power level, but I routinely bring on the second pump at 4psi boost.
      You can go to a higher boost switch if the the power level is not demanding the second pump until a higher range.

Running 2 pumps will likely overheat the fuel after longer drive times or in hot climates.
      I NEVER run dual pumps continuously.

Turning it off & on will not hurt it, but cavitating the pump due to overheated fuel will destroy it.
      Okay, what is your setup. I will see if i can control it through my FAST XFI SPortsman. Bringing it in at a decent boost level

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Richard454;1342742]I'm running a fuel cooler on the return line- as I don't like the idea of heating up the fuel and sending back to the tank.

Just sayin-

I had the stealth phantom and while my project stalled for 2 years-

I went to drain my tank- the "aerospace" foam had dissolved. It was just regular premium pump gas.

The guys at Aeromotive did admit that they had seen it happen- but wanted to charge me for new foam...no way would I putting that back in my tank- went with a Holley Hydramat

QUOTE]

ANyreason why they said the foam dissolved. I could imagine it happen if it set for a while. Gasoline is coresive
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

There's a lot of information here that may be helpful regarding modern high-power pumping systems and how the OEM's keep them reliable: https://www.vaporworx.com/resources/

We have had very good results controlling dual Stealth 340 / Phantom arrangements using this dual controller: https://www.vaporworx.com/shop/product/pw3bdti267/

When the above is used a minimum 50% reduction in power to the primary pump during idle and cruise vs. a traditional return system is achieved. No external regulator, return lines, relays, etc. are needed.

Fuel cell foam is considered a wear item. Modern fuel blends wreak havoc on elastomers and foams. Unless a bladder is used there is little need for foam in modern pumping systems.
      Last edited by CarlC; 11-03-2020 at 10:15 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I was going to suggest using a vaporworx module, but Carl beat me to it. Not sure what your setup is for rear suspension, but I'm selling the stock tank from my 1968 Camaro that has been modified for a 5th gen fuel pump assembly. You could run a CTS-V pump in there with the Vaporworx controller and would supply you with fuel up to somewhere around 800hp.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com