Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need some seat bracket ideas

Maybe fabrication? I'll start here.

I wasn't happy with how my seats were mounted to the floor. To be fair, I was in a bit of a rush to get ready for a power tour, but now that it's time for a nice paint job, I want to redo them. That was a fun talk with the spouse. "I'm not happy with the seat mounts." "Why, they work fine?" "Yes but I'm not happy with it..." And so on.

Anyway, I need the seats back from factory about 3" for my height and the floor is not level or flat in any direction. Here's what I have to work with after cutting out the previous mounts:
      Name:  floorpan1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  20.0 KB
      I want the bracket about here with a little downward rake but not as much as the floor. The front outside bolt hole is right in line with where I need it but the back comes up way short:
      Name:  floorpan2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  20.3 KB
      FWIW, these are Corbeau brackets/seats. I don't might cutting and welding to get this done but I'm struggling with how to get a clean, simple solution that I can lay carpet over/around and not have it looked hacked up. Thoughts?

For what car?

This is a 69 Impala. Nothing off the shelf available.

Have you checked with classic Industries .And or look for some used one ?

yeah...

This is on a 68 camaro but we wanted to mount the seat lower and farther back also, perhaps, if you're willing to get sparky, this could help somewhat.

Thanks. It pretty much kicked my butt over the weekend and I struggled with not wanting to support the mounts with just sheet metal. I moved the seats back 3" over stock and hit the front support brace for the front mounts. The rear was another issue and I ended up having to fabricate a small outrigger that tied to the rear brace for stiffness on the inside. Outside I was lucky a a 2x2 square of 1/8" sheet butted into both the floor and rocker braces. Even most of the welds looked decent...
      I built a jig to square and level between both door sills and got everything with 1mm of being square. Satisfied except for that one weld I'm going to grind and redo.
      Name:  seat brace.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  323.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      This is on a 68 camaro but we wanted to mount the seat lower and farther back also, perhaps, if you're willing to get sparky, this could help somewhat.
      Hey Jim, did you leave your floor pan like that? Removing the seat pans greatly reduces the integrity of the unibody. They are part of the structure of the floor pan which is pretty flimsy without them. I'm using the seat pans plus all of the convertible braces underneath and the subframe connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      Hey Jim, did you leave your floor pan like that? Removing the seat pans greatly reduces the integrity of the unibody. They are part of the structure of the floor pan which is pretty flimsy without them. I'm using the seat pans plus all of the convertible braces underneath and the subframe connectors.
      It remains without the seat pan yes, however if you look, we heavily reinforced the side running boards as well as the very thick brace running transverse in front of the seat(reinforcing the subframe bolts), which should add a lot more rigidity than the original seat pan. I hope.

On second glance, it's a bad picture, hard to make it all out tbh

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com