Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

73 Camaro spindle dilemma, 2" drop or standard height

Hey fellas, I'm in a confusing pickle with spindles for my never ending 73 Camaro project! I've reached out to SC&C for advice a few times but sadley haven't received a return call. SO.... where do I start!

Some years ago, I upgraded/rebuilt my front suspension with speedway upper tubular control arms, new CPP calipers, CPP 2" drop spindles and rebuilt my stock lower control arms with premium parts. It required truck upper ball joint for the control arm thats about 1/2 longer with a 7 degree taper and reamed the upper spindle mount to fit. I also added QA1 hybrid coilovers to get that low stance that I love. The front end was so low that the front wheels (18s) were touching the wheel wells which i was planning to cut for wheel clearancing. NOW- I decided to upgrade my upgrade to full tubular control arms from CPP and do a big brake conversion from a 2015 Camaro SS. I bought the brake brackets from BigBrakeUpgrade (very knowledgeable and helpful) to convert my drop spindles. I was all good until I learned that CPP also sells C5 spindles in standard ride height which made me start thinking about ride geometry (I know nothing about). I love the protouring look and feel but don't know much about it.

So what do you guy recommend for a street car with my current set up? Keep the 2" drop spindles with the 1/2 longer ball joint or go with the CPP AFX standard height spindles and adjust my desired low stance through coilover adjustments? Which option has better street handling geometry? Thanks in advance guys! I know we love seeing pics of the topic so I took a few of her current resting glory.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Country Flag: United States
      Generally speaking, drop spindles are a cheap way to lower the front end but not necessarily the correct way to improve handling. Once you start mixing parts from different manufacturers you had better know exactly what you're doing or you risk ending up with an expensive pile of useless parts that don't play well together. Personally, in your case I would recommend contacting ridetech and purchasing one of their complete front suspension kits. They have done all the engineering for you, all you have to do is install it per their instructions.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com