Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help picking suspension componets

I知 working on rebuilding my 1964 442 and I知 trying to decide which components i will be purchasing for the suspension. I want the car to sit a lower than stock but i do not want ground clearance issues as i will be doing a lot of road trips in this car. My 72 is lowered 2敗 and that seems to do well on the road. I was looking at Viking coil overs front and back. Is there an advantage to coil overs compared to traditional springs and shocks?

My 64 GTO with SPC springs and Bilstein shocks had a great ride. I don’t see the need for coilovers in a cruiser.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

If you have cash to burn coilovers are a good upgrade if you plan to really drive your car. If your just going to be cruising in it, don't waste your money. With coilovers you can adjust your ride height using spanner wrenches vs having to pull coils and replace / cut. You have to have lower a-arms that can handle the added stress of coilovers though.

I have the exact frame as you, minus the boxing.

I'm running:

Front:
      CPP 2" drop spindles
      Moog 6200 springs - (290lb springs, if you're going to autocross, would recommend higher spring rate)
      SPC fully adjustable upper arms (really dials in alignment)
      Ebay tubular lower arms (knock off of Global West arms)
      Proforged 0.9" taller upper ball joint (corrects negative factory camber curve to provide negative camber on compression) (need aftermarket arms to run these)
      Proforged 0.5" taller lower ball joint (eliminates bumpsteer, so nice to drive and not have the steering wheel jerk when you hit bumps)(lowers front 0.5" as well and can run with stock lower arms)
      KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, perfect ride for cruising or cutting corners. They're not perfect but I cruise, drag race, road course, and autocross with these shocks, still love the ride quality. Jack of all trades, master of none. I cruise more than anything and don't want to have kidney busting ride quality just to get 3rd place racing.. Upgrade from them would be Bilstein shocks, then adjustable or coilovers depending on funds.
      Hellwig 1 5/16" front sway bar, cut down on body roll immensely and allows corner carving (get the hollow bar, I have the solid, it weighs 25lbs and is on the nose of the car)

Rear:
      Moog 5235 springs with 1 coil removed - 146lb springs (see above)
      Speeway motors adjustable upper control arms - helped dial in pinion angle after LS swap
      BMR solid lower control arms with spherical bushings - thought it would ride bad with no cushion but the ride is like butter
      KYB Gas-A-Just shocks

0818201738e_HDR~2

If you're bored look up Hotwire454 on youtube you can see the suspension in action. I do plan on getting higher rate springs to reduce body roll and stickier tires, but not in a hurry for them as this setup is pretty nice.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Thanks for the replies so far. The car will see more 2 lane road than track but i would like it to handle well for 56 year old car. After the car is together and the bugs worked out it will get a 350 olds with a supercharger. Although i dont want to put expensive parts that i will not use to their full potential, i dont mind spending money on quality parts that that will last years. I already have the taller upper and lower ball joints.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com