Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Baer 13" SS4 on my 69 camaro

I just started mocking up my BB kit. Everything is fitting, and I knew it was gonna be close, so thats a plus. My question is shimming the calipers. The instructions say to shim the bracket arm holding the caliper. This makes sense if your calipers need to come inboard, but mine need to go outboard to center. The only way I see to accomplish this is to Shim the actual caliper, which i did and everything is lined up perfectly...Just wondering why the instructions don't make a note of this? I was going to buzz them in them in the morning, but wondering if others had the same issue. They also note a second bolt set (longer) for the caliper attachement bracket, but I only received one set..so another question...I hate when the instructions are misleading...

JR

Hi Viperman, I am a few steps ahead of you. I had issues and needed tech support. I also have a 69 camaro and also have the Baer SS4. Since the rear Calipers Float, they have play. So does the rear axle. assuming you have a factory reared as i do. Note, when doing the shimming procedure for the rear. They go opposite each other. Meaning pull out on the rotor and push in on the Caliper. Then Measure the Outboard clearance at the top then the bottom. This will be reverse when measuring the inside top and bottom. After it all, I also had the problem of my calipers needed to move out, not in. The shims make it worse.
      I had to mail back both intermediate brackets and have them milled by Baer. Free of charge btw...They milled down .060. When i got them back the passenger rear was within .002. Perfect. However...the driver side needed to be milled more. I was within .010. They recommend .007 at the most. So I sent it back last week. Also, The shims are .0015. I needed more shims. Ask for extra Shims!!!!
      So, i should get back the other bracket tomorrow.
      Talk to Rick Pojman... He was a big help. Hit me up if i can help. I Just did the front.

Also don't shim the caliper in my opinion. Check with Baer

Viperman. sorry was referring to the rear. I don't want to mis inform you. I didn't have play in the front and it went perfect. good luck

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com