Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running Hooker Aeroflow Mufflers?

Hey PT,

I'm looking at getting some new mufflers and want something much quieter than my current exhaust which is shorty headers, 3" exhaust, x pipe, Super 60's and dumped after that. I bought a set of tailpipes for the car which I've heard can make a big difference, but they aren't going to fit without some cutting and welding. I just don't want to modify my tailpipes for my current mufflers if they are still going to be loud. Wanted to get some input from the site. My motor is an L92 SBE, Summit stage 1 Ghost cam with an LSA supercharger.

I'm also very seriously considering a set of high flow cats to reduce that exhaust smell. I want my wife and kids to ride with me and they don't like smelling. Frankly neither do I. Think they would help to quiet it down too?

Thanks,
      Ryan

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

I believe you are referring to Hooker Aerochamber mufflers. If so, they work well from a noise attenuation perspective, but they would be undesirable in your application due to the specific height of their case. I can almost guarantee you will experience ground contact with them if you are planning on packaging them into the stock floor wells under the rear seat. I wouldn’t put any muffler taller than 4” under a 1st-gen F-body.

What size tailpipes did you go with? Dropping down a size (like 2.5") after the muffler usually quiets it down without a flow penalty. High flow cats should help a little as well (along with the smell).

Borla XS are one of the most quiet yet best performance mufflers you can buy. Great tone as well (low).

Name:  MufflerChart.gif
Views: 468
Size:  114.0 KB
      Name:  mufflers.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  220.7 KB
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Ryan,

I got this Magnaflow kit, I had to shorten the length of some pipes and I dumped the exhaust right after the mufflers because of my IRS, but overall it fits really well. I also have long tube headers with Magnaflow high flow cats. According to that sheet, Magnaflow are 2nd quietest muffler and gained HP and torque. Can’t comment on how quiet the ride is just yet

I have Magna Flows in my convertible with a 400 SBC - mild motor 450hp/500 torque and it is reasonably quiet around town. At higher RPMs they make more noise but overall I'm happy with them. WOT of course they make more noise but not raunchy sounding

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Toddoky, I did some more reading after I posted this and came to the same conclusion on the Aerochamber mufflers. I didn't see any markings on the mufflers I currently have other than they are branded flowmaster. From taking measurements I have a super 50 that measures 17x10x5. I haven't had any issues with ground clearance, but the reason that I haven't run any tailpipes to date is because they were too long to make a nice flowing transition up and over the axle.

68Formula, I was looking at that exact test and came to the same conclusion about the Borla ProXS. I ended up buying a pair yesterday and Jeg's is saying that I'll have them by Friday. I bought a set of 3" tailpipes since I'm boosted. If I was running N/A I'd definitely be running the 2.5" for an easier install and like you say, no real penalty.

Joeko23 and srode, thanks for the input on the Magnaflow's. I was seriously looking at those as well, but at this point I just want the car to quiet down. And I had a set of high flow cats in my cart too, but took them out for now. I don't like the exhaust smell, but I'm wondering if that will be reducec/cured by adding tailpipes.

I'll be sure to post up a sound clip. I also downloaded a decibel app on my phone to get an idea of how much quieter the new mufflers are. I'll post up my results.

Thanks for all of the input.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com