Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Speedtech vs Alston subframe for camaro

Looking to purchase subframe kit for my 68 Camaro anyone have experience with either Alston subframe or speedtech’s pro touring ? Gonna mainly be a street car occasional track

Country Flag: United States
      Not a fan of the rear steer Unisteer rack on the Speedtech. A little unreliable and warranty service from Unisteer sucks big time....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie707 View Post
      Looking to purchase subframe kit for my 68 Camaro anyone have experience with either Alston subframe or speedtech’s pro touring ? Gonna mainly be a street car occasional track
      I replied to your post in Lateral-g.net and shared my experience about Speedtech Pro touring subframe with Unisteer Rack.

Unisteer rack & pinion has leak issues, and their is a very tight clearance between the oil pan and Rack mounting bolt, which makes it difficult to unbolt without jacking up the engine.

I get so much support from Blake at Speedtech. Unfortunately, their pro touring subframe was designed to use only Unisteer Rack & Pinion.
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

Does the Speedtech extreme subframe fix the unisteer issues the pro tour frame has ? I don’t know much about them but the extreme looks like a front steer. I’d get that if I was going with speed tech.

Speedtech extreme has a Sweet rack which is a much better rack than unisteer. There really is no comparison between the two subframes.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Speedtech extreme has a Sweet rack which is a much better rack than unisteer. There really is no comparison between the two subframes.

Don
      That’s what I was thinking, not sure why one would consider the pro tour version unless there was some significant cost savings.

JMO, but I don’t think I’d spend the money for an aftermaket subframe on a car that isn’t intended for a lot a track or autocross use. I have doubts it would show its potential on the street. Granted, I don’t have the first hand experience to back that up, but it is my opinion. I have the Stage 2 QA1 kit with 500lb springs in mine with a 10:1 power steering box and I think it drives and handles great. Also have Global West solid body mounts and NT555 G2s, 235/40 front 275/35 rear. I’m not as ballsy (read: stupid) as I was 30+ years ago so I really have not pushed it hard on the street but it still has impressed me. I have tried to get it to break loose in some places where that was safe and so far I have been unable too. I’m sure that would be easier with more that 400hp though.

Anyway, not an answer to your question I know but a different perspective on it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com