Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

High stall converter, overdrive low RPM

Perhaps a dumb question but if I have a stall converter at 3400rpm and my overdrive at 60 is 2400 (not that I stay at 60 very long), will the lockup save me (if it locks then) or will the converter be loose and cause high temps on the fluid and destroy the transmission. Should this be a trans programming item HP tuners with a lockup converter to avoid this issue or am I missing something simple here?

You're missing something simple, and that is how a stall converter actually works. But, there aren't really any dumb questions because nobody can know it all. The stall speed isn't just a set speed, it's determined by engine RPM changes and the engine's power. Give the car a little gas and the stall speed for the converter is low, give it a lot of gas and it's a lot higher. The same stall converter on a low powered car won't be as high as on a high powered car. If this wasn't the case, you'd have to get your engine up to 3400RPM just to creep around a parking lot, yet at the dragstrip it would start moving as soon as you hit 3400RPM. When you're cruising on the highway, and the converter locks, it's a direct mechanical connection inside the converter and not a fluid connection (hence the term lockup,) thus shouldn't generate heat inside the converter. Since you do have a higher stall an aux cooler before the radiator cooler would be a good idea. HP Tuners can program lockup speeds.

Vimes nailed it on the head, follow his recommendations.

The lockup or TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) will remove all "stall" from the converter when it's engaged. It's literally a hydraulically controlled clutch pack inside the converter.

I had a 3k Precision Industries stall converter in my 5.3L/4L60-E swapped S10 blazer.

This was an uphill start, 1/4ish throttle to 60 when the TCC engages and locks the converter up

https://youtu.be/ZnRvkUe9uJ8

Here's the stall at work, brake stand till 2500, let it eat, then on the brakes to 50 and back on the throttle for normal driving

https://youtu.be/Eo1HWJU_bHg
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Thanks for the reply's and videos

I am looking to stop the "creep" in idle at lights and such, so a higher stall should help with that. I am not sure if hp tuners uses gear and mph or gear and rpm of the engine for the "lockup"? I have a stock truck 4l60e and the creep is terrible. I was looking at a 2600 converter so to keep the torque high for the BTR truck cam stage 2 yet stop the creep. Its really annoying and the idle get rougher with the creep..

ECM uses TPS % and mph to set TCC enable.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I've used couple of stall converters on my LS swaps. Currently running 2800 stall Yank in my 68 C10. On a previous 67 LS swap I ran a 3200 Circle. Both billet converters. They drove like stockers until you nailed it. We have a number of local roads that have 40 mph speed limits so I have the tuner set the 4th gear shift and lock up at 45 mph or so. Keeps the engine from lugging.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com