Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: My 8HP70 swap.

Threaded View

My 8HP70 swap.

Hi, Håkan from Sweden here. Now that i have finished im doing a thread of my swap.

This is the car i made the swap in, 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 with a mild 512cui engine and Holley sniper.

Name:  IMG_20200627_111738.jpg
Views: 4903
Size:  641.0 KB

I have a very slow going pro touring project in the garage, same car as above:
      Name:  IMG_20200119_171338.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  220.5 KB

I have been wanting to replace the old leaky 727 for an overdrive transmission a long time and in january or so i first heard of successful swaps in Poland of the 8HP70 using the https://htg-tuning.com/ GCU.
      This seemed like a good solution since it replaces the stock ECU in the transmission and fully controls it.

So, i started researching and at the time i only knew the 8HP70 could be found in Dodges and BMW´s and since the Dodge ones is very expensive in Europe i went with a BMW (i didnt find any measurments of the bellhousing so i had to estimate from pictures if it was likely to fit).
      I got one from a BMW F10 2014 but as soon as i got it home it was clear that the bolt pattern was way to small.

So, after that i did more research and found out the 8HP70 was in a lot of different cars and found a Jaguar XF 2.2D wich looked right in size.
      Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  147.1 KB
      This one was spot on in size, so now i had to fabricate an adapterplate. I found a blueprint of the 727 bigblock bellhousing so i could get the measurments of the engine side from that minus the holes for the starter.
      Name:  BB_Mopar_bell4.jpg
Views: 5269
Size:  123.1 KB
      As for the transmission i first tried a method i saw online using a lexan plate secured o the transmission and then using guides in the holes drill thru the lexan to get the hole positions, i then had the guys in the measuring department at work run it in a Zeiss measuring machine. I then double checked the distances between the guide pin holes on the transmission vs the measured and it turned out this method wasnt exact enough.

So i brought the transmission to a company and had them measure it properly, both the bellhousing and the output shaft flange.

(To be continued, got to go to work).