Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Engine running trigger?

My switch panel has a couple of trigger inputs. I plan on using these inputs to automatically trigger things to go on based on only if the engine is running, that way they don't cause draw during cranking.

The only way to get a signal based on the fact of an engine running that I can think of, would be something like a pulse trigger switch off the tach wire I can calibrate for 600rpm or so (since good mini starter can crank at above 400rpm and my idle is 750).

Has anyone ever bought and set up anything like this? Any recommendations on a pulse trigger switch for this type of application?

I'm also open to other recommendations on how I can get a trigger signal based on only the engine actually running.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Maybe use an oil pressure switch with a pressure value higher than what is made at cranking RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Maybe use an oil pressure switch with a pressure value higher than what is made at cranking RPM?
      I have an Accusump that's wired to prime when the ignition is turned on which may trigger that. Thanks tho.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Usually accessory power is off while cranking but then comes back on when the key returns to ignition on. In other words accessory power is on when the key is either in the accessory or ignition ON positions, but not in the start position unlike ignition power which does stay on during cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      Usually accessory power is off while cranking but then comes back on when the key returns to ignition on. In other words accessory power is on when the key is either in the accessory or ignition ON positions, but not in the start position unlike ignition power which does stay on during cranking.
      Correct, however I'm using a solid-state switch panel (think PDM) and no longer have a traditional ignition switch like a street car. So all that factory wiring is out the window.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

In that case I would use a relay circuit with an input connected to the start terminal on the starter that cuts power anytime start is active. So basically creating a new source for accessory power.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      In that case I would use a relay circuit with an input connected to the start terminal on the starter that cuts power anytime start is active. So basically creating a new source for accessory power.
      Hmm, that's a good thought. But I'm wanting things to power on in stages and I don't see how a relay like that could send only a signal to the trigger input on my PDM only after the engine has started.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I thought the main goal was not to draw power while the engine is cranking. Actually if you don't need accessory power from the relay circuit then you could just send the crank signal directly to the input of the PDM and not use a relay. Anytime start signal is high the engine is cranking. Of course that still doesn't provide a signal that shows that the engine is running, but I don't see the benefit of that anyway. Good luck.

Here's how I did it-

The fans & AC get power after a delay (mine is set to about 6 seconds -but adjustable up to a minute) after the starter is run - just like the delay on new cars.

If you try to start- then turn off the ignition -it will reset the timer.

I have ignition power- ignition & start power- and ignition delay -no power start-

And also added a ignition timed output- Hella relay (up to 15 minutes after you shut off car) for Power windows /headlights.

This is a second fusebox for all my add-ons-

Name:  dscn8824_1a3b718fb02b9593217cdbb2e4ec8f2e4fd0e671.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  236.0 KB

Name:  fusebox_pass_3802422d225d9db10fda15a108573a9dcb6390a8.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  219.8 KB

Name:  passenger_fuse_box_93098fdb5704c58fdc659dc70e78f3976f4887ae.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  66.5 KB

That's a good way to do it instead of something based on engine run. I hadn't thought about using a delay timer since I'm all solid state programming with no fuses or relays. I wonder how I could adapt that idea, I'll do some research.

Thanks!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Here you go-

Solid state- programmable- delay on and off

https://www.rowe-electronics.com/amplink

http://pdm60.com/wp-content/uploads/...anual-2016.pdf

Name:  pdm60.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  19.5 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com