Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

DCC PWM controller temp wire

I'm getting ready to install my DCC pwm fan/EWP controller and I have a question about the terminal that connects at the thermostat housing.

What is everyone doing to hide this or make it look better? Having an eyelet coming off one of the studs doesn't exactly look good. First I'm going to cut off his terminal and use a non-insulated terminal and put some black heat shrink on it since the yellow plastic connector is very unsightly.

I guess from there I'm going to route the wire into my EFI harness where it connects to the coolant temp sensor. It's just that eyelet on the thermostat housing that bothers me.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to improve the look? I wish it could just connect to the coolant temp sensor signal wire instead of the eyelet.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Bump for ideas.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Country Flag: Canada
      Theres lots of electrical 90 degree rubber boots on the market. Search mil spec 90 degree harness boot. They make straight, 45, etc.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

I gotcha, then just use the 90 degree boot to cover the thermostat housing stud, nut, and thus the sensor eyelet.

Thanks!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I gotcha, then just use the 90 degree boot to cover the thermostat housing stud, nut, and thus the sensor eyelet.

Thanks!
      Yessir
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square

I’m not quite following you but if the terminal you are referring to is the temperature sensor then you cannot just cut it off. It won’t work if you do....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I’m not quite following you but if the terminal you are referring to is the temperature sensor then you cannot just cut it off. It won’t work if you do....

Don
      Oh, so I need to leave the ugly yellow insulated connector on there and not replace it? I thought it was just a special kind of wire, not a special kind of eyelet.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Oh, so I need to leave the ugly yellow insulated connector on there and not replace it? I thought it was just a special kind of wire, not a special kind of eyelet.
      I honestly don’t know, just flagging that this might not be a good idea. Put black heat shrink over the ugly connector.

I would tell you to contact DCC but that is not likely going to generate a response.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks. I'll just black shrink the existing connector to play it safe.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Don
      Don,

I believe you are mistaken. This is just a stud with a typical eyelet crimp with the yellow cover, which does insulate, but also a gauge indicator. It can 100% be removed and be covered with shrink tube.
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      Don,

I believe you are mistaken. This is just a stud with a typical eyelet crimp with the yellow cover, which does insulate, but also a gauge indicator. It can 100% be removed and be covered with shrink tube.
      That may very well be, it happens often. I’ve installed several DCC fan controllers and the temp sensor inserted into the radiator fins. The OP said the yellow connector was the temp sender. If that’s the case then DCC has changed their design and I suggested he be careful. Covering the yellow with black heat shrink is a low risk solution. Risk/reward analysis, it’s what I do...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yeah, this temp pickup eyelet attaches to the stud on the water thermostat housing. So he must have updated the design.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

That may very well be, it happens often. I’ve installed several DCC fan controllers and the temp sensor inserted into the radiator fins. The OP said the yellow connector was the temp sender. If that’s the case then DCC has changed their design and I suggested he be careful. Covering the yellow with black heat shrink is a low risk solution. Risk/reward analysis, it’s what I do...

Don
      Fair enough! Everyone has a different approach to things. I deal with this issue for a living in explosion proof cabinets. Zero issues
      Matt

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com