Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

New Old Guy Intro, now I can personally get into our 73 Camaro

Hi All,
      Perhaps by my user name you figured out I am an "Old Guy" who has retired this past February. My Wife and I live in the western suburbs of Chicago.
      ALL of my previous experience has been "Old School", 68 original Camaro (SOLD), 69 Firebird Conv which we stuffed an RAM Air III into (SOLD) and a 65 GTO Convertible which our 3 daughters helped with a full Nut and Bolt restoration and we still have.

In 2014 we (my wife and I, mostly me) purchased a 73 RS/LT/Z28 air car that did not have the original drivetrain. Soon after purchase we (I) had an LS2 / 4L65E installed from a donor 2006 GTO, at this time I was traveling heavily for work and no time or the desire to get into modern electronic engine / trans controls. When the engine was installed additional upgrades were installed, new Painless wiring harness, tubular A-arms with Coil Overs, Dakota Dash, Vintage Air and other minor upgrades. It wasn't long after the install the rear suspension needed replacement, I was convinced to go to the Chassisworks 4-link. When pulling up the Hush Mat in preparation for the 4-link install the floor began to pull-up also. What an Oh Crap moment.
      Off to "Paint Jail for a floor replacement. While prepping the car for Paint Jail the mess that the install shop created with the new wiring harness and blending of the GTO original electronics for the engine / trans became very apparent. Got the car out of Paint Jail after 3-years and back to the install shop (last Fall), STUPID ME went there thinking they created the mess and would easily be able to get it in running condition w/o much pain.
      WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I can share the name, examples and pictures of the absolute mess this shop made of this car or you can learn for yourself.

Prior to retiring I decided No More will I be a slave to a shop because I was intimated by the electronics of modern engine / trans controls. I purchased the Holley Terminator X Max system and after further review of the mess they made of the Painless wiring harness bit the bullet and purchased another harness. The Terminator is a VERY POWERFUL tool. As of today I still need help analyzing and programming BUT not intimated.

NO MORE WILL I BE A CASH COW FOR ANY SHOP!!!

Met up with a guy last summer I call "Fast Eddy" who has a early 80's Pro Touring Chevelle (really nice, I mean REALLY NICE) who experienced BAD SHOPS also and pointed me in the right direction, the rear end was not rotating correctly, today I picked up the car all I can say is WHOA!!!
      I was actually considering replacing the 4-link as it wasn't functioning correctly and I don't have a rack to work on the car. The car is now actually a joy to drive! The shocks were side loaded 3/4" (after the previous shop corrected) and the exhaust (after the previous shop fabricated) was keeping the rear end from rotating. Goes in for a new exhaust next week.
      Anyone needing help in the Chicagoland area feel free to drop me a line and I can share the shops I have experience with, Good and Bad.

Did I mention the gear the previous shop installed is howling? Not much the previous shop did that hasn't been changed, modified or replaced. Of course they deny anything was wrong with their work, just give us more money and we will fix the work they assured me came with warranty. Did I tell you they welded the vent relief for the cooling system shut, there reply is you don't need it if you fill the system correctly, OK.

You be the judge.

Looking forward to finally enjoying this car and this site!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com