Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New Brake system, any tips

Hi Everyone,

Finally putting 4 wheel discs on my 69 Camaro. After a lot of measuring, templating,and contemplating, I decided to do the Baer SS4 kit, front and back with a new manual MC. I had manual, so I went that way again.

I am going to install all new lines, etc., but looking for any advice from someone who has been there and done that. Currently factory discs, and drums. I am expecting big things with this upgrade. CHeers@!

Joe

Country Flag: United States
      If you're getting stainless lines, the stainless is a little harder material. When tightening with a line wrench, I found it best to tighten the nut and then back it off, then tighten again. I did that 2-3 times per connection in order to get the flare to seat.

I replaced the entire braking system on my 67, so there was no fluid at all in any of the lines. I first bench bled the master cylinder, then mounted to the booster and hooked up all the lines. I then filled the master cylinder to the top, and then cracked all 4 bleeders and let gravity do its thing. I let it sit overnight like this. The next morning I had fluid at all 4 corners. I then closed all the bleeders and then bled the brakes the traditional way. Made 2 passes around the car and had a nice firm pedal.
      This method worked great for me. I didn't need one of those pressure or vacuum tools.

Melbourne Australia, dual citizen tho with USA.
      Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      If you're getting stainless lines, the stainless is a little harder material. When tightening with a line wrench, I found it best to tighten the nut and then back it off, then tighten again. I did that 2-3 times per connection in order to get the flare to seat.

I replaced the entire braking system on my 67, so there was no fluid at all in any of the lines. I first bench bled the master cylinder, then mounted to the booster and hooked up all the lines. I then filled the master cylinder to the top, and then cracked all 4 bleeders and let gravity do its thing. I let it sit overnight like this. The next morning I had fluid at all 4 corners. I then closed all the bleeders and then bled the brakes the traditional way. Made 2 passes around the car and had a nice firm pedal.
      This method worked great for me. I didn't need one of those pressure or vacuum tools.
      I can confirm that John's approach works a treat.....I personally would not use stainless line tho.
      Jim.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com