Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 camaro rear suspension options ridetch

Hello all,

I am looking at the rear suspension upgrades for my 1969 camaro. Right now I have the mono "upgrade" 3 leaf steel with blistein shocks. I am looking at upgrading as the ride isnt what I was hoping for. Its a street driven car, but I want a nice cushy ride, not a over the pothole rear end thump drop feeling i am getting now. So who has the streetgrip rear composite leafs or the bolt on 4 link? I get the whole adjustable part but honestly I want ride quality. It seems the price of the streetgrip adds up when you start adding shackles and bushings so how much saving is there really if the ride is alittle better with the 4 link? I will be installing either so labor isnt the issue. Welding the brackets isnt a issue either and since I have the stock drums in the rear, I will be upgrading the rear brakes at the same time,(suggestions welcome on that also welcome) due to the 15" rims.

Thanks

I would not expect the four link to ride better than the street grip. Quite the opposite based on my experience.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I would not expect the four link to ride better than the street grip. Quite the opposite based on my experience.

Don
      Interesting, you think the street grip (composite leaf springs) rides better than the 4-link? That's really impressive. Were the cars setup similarly otherwise? I haven't ridden in a Street Grip car yet. Sounds like I need to.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      Interesting, you think the street grip (composite leaf springs) rides better than the 4-link? That's really impressive. Were the cars setup similarly otherwise? I haven't ridden in a street grip car yet. Sounds like I need to.
      Just not a fan of the ride of their four link. Had two of them. Bad combination of spring rates, poly bushings and shocks it seems.

OP wants a nice ride on the street, not an autocross car.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Well thank you for your experience on driving these parts.

So what your saying is the composite springs, HQ shocks, and the delrin shackle and bushing kit will set me up? I notice they dont run a rear sway bar so should I follow the street grip thought. Always can add that later. Nice part about this is I dont have to worry about the exhaust rerouting due to the 4 link. Any thought on the bar between the upper shock mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by gchank View Post
      Well thank you for your experience on driving these parts.

So what your saying is the composite springs, HQ shocks, and the delrin shackle and bushing kit will set me up? I notice they dont run a rear sway bar so should I follow the street grip thought. Always can add that later. Nice part about this is I dont have to worry about the exhaust rerouting due to the 4 link. Any thought on the bar between the upper shock mounts?
      You’re probably going to want the 1” lowering blocks too.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Ok, let me ask the dumb question, why lowering blocks also? What do you think about the upper shock mount brace in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by gchank View Post
      Ok, let me ask the dumb question, why lowering blocks also? What do you think about the upper shock mount brace in the rear?
      If you go to the ridetech site it will tell you the ride height without the lowering blocks. I think most guys want it an inch lower, hence the blocks.

I don’t see the need for the brace on a street driven car.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Rear springs composite installed with the ridetech shocks and bushings

So over the winter I installed the composite ridetech springs, bushings, new shocks, and some s10 calipers for the rear. (yes I have 15" rims) While I have yet to adjust the shocks, the ride is way better. I really haven't driven a 4 link vehicle yet to compare, but I am impressed with the ride quality of the streetgrip rear setup. The front is coil overs which in combination of the new rear setup makes for a really nice ride, since owning the car in 1985, best drive yet. I am very happy with the decision. Install of the springs and shocks was quite easy, but the brakes still aren't right yet. With winter calming down in NJ, I got to take it out for a test drive for a nice quality ride without feeling every bump and road imperfections. Finally a enjoyable ride.. Not sure about the 1" lowering block yet, but no rush for that decision. Santa might bring new rims/tires this Christmas...

As soon as the weather gets better up here in cheese land I can give you a review of the composite springs on my 73 Camaro. I was faced with a similar decision on what to upgrade to. I was seriously thinking ridetech 4 link or BMR torque arm when I just really got honest with myself over what I wanted out of the upgrade. I decided I just wanted an improved ride for this old ass without losing the stance that Ii have. I ended up with the ridetech composite leafs with their bushings and a pair of double adjustable Viking shocks. Its just sitting in my boarded up garage now waiting for the weather to break, but I can already tell the difference as compared to my steel leaf spring setup with poly bushings. The poly bushings just had so much bind. I was also pleasantly surprised by the ride height. I run the car fairly low and was sure I would need to run a tall lowering block to get it down where I wanted it. I ended up with just a 1/2 inch block.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com