Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

should I run 18 x 9.5 for 18 x 8 on the front?

This is for and 81Z28 that I will autocross and might some day run on the track. The wheel I'm looking at is the US mags Rambler U111. I would like to run a square set up with 18 x 9.5 on front and rear. I know from auto crossing my 68 Chevelle that the widest stickiest front tires are very beneficial for breaking performance. The Rambler wheel is not available in an 18 x 9. The 18 x 9.5 with 5.25 back spacing will be a tight fit and I will need to run the PTFB sway bar and aftermarket upper control arms but I may still have some tire rub. I'd rather not have any tire rub of course but just on the fence as to whether I want to push it/take a chance or not for performance. Any input is appreciated!

It's hard for me to assist with all of your concerns, although they are valid, what I can tell you is that when I first purchased my 8" wide fronts for 'ease of fitment' I dwelled on the decision for a while and ultimately sold them and purchased 9.5". I have no practical experience with them yet, but I figured, if they can fit without too much hassle, make it work and don't look back.

Here is the thread I started to see about putting a wide tire and wheel on my 1970 Camaro. One of the posters has a combo similar to yours.
      https://nastyz28.com/threads/18-fron...e-tire.332147/
      1970RS Camaro
      Lateral Dynamics, Wilwood, BOZE, Strange Engineering, Alston, Ride Tech, Gen II, FAST.
      Dave Cozzi

Quote Originally Posted by dcozzi View Post
      Here is the thread I started to see about putting a wide tire and wheel on my 1970 Camaro. One of the posters has a combo similar to yours.
      https://nastyz28.com/threads/18-fron...e-tire.332147/
      Thank you. Good info.

You're welcome. I am still on the fence about trying a 9.5" wheel on the front with a 275/35/18. With my Wilwood setup, it looks like you need to have 5.75-6" backspace and that is cutting it close everywhere. You need to go with button head bolts on the inner fenders and the sway and frame will rub front and back.
      1970RS Camaro
      Lateral Dynamics, Wilwood, BOZE, Strange Engineering, Alston, Ride Tech, Gen II, FAST.
      Dave Cozzi

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com